Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

dell model ac240as-01 doesn't light up needs led and maybe fuse why did it blow in the first place.

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
dell model ac240as-01 doesn't provide power led broken(my fault) no power output where is the fuse and why did it pop?

If you can't easily identify the input fuse after opening the case, you are probably not qualified to do any repair on the device. There are repair instructions for ac240as-01 on the web. Presume that fuse rarely blows on its own, there will be at least one more defect.

i am just curiouse it is cheaper for me to buy a used power supply than try to fix the old one. i checked the cord, it bis fine checked inside there is power inside but nothing lights up i have the pinout and jumped the on /off terminals nothing happened so now i am couriouse. that is how people learn.

Heed FvM's warning, it may look like a simple box that produces a low voltage on its output cord but inside there are some seriously high voltages, significantly higher than your AC outlet produces and they are deadly to touch. This is why external power supplies are entirely encased in plastic. There are thousands of different designs and it is quite likely that even ones sold for your computer came from different sources so without actually seeing it and having a schematic it's difficult for us to help you.

General advice is not to attempt repair yourself unless you are familiar with the safety precautions you should take and understand how switch mode power supplies work. For example, do you have a suitably rated isolating transformer and equipment that can measure peak voltages up to around 1,000V? If not, I seriously advise you to get a new unit and leave the old one well alone.

For reference, I have worked on computers since they were the size of a car and loaded programs from punched cards. I still design computer and embedded systems ( a bit smaller now!) and their power supplies. I would still buy a replacement power supply instead of opening one up for repair.

Brian.

Very commendable but you only get one chance at life!
Please don't think we are trying to hold back your education, being inquisitive is good but these power supplies are deceptively dangerous. Think of it like testing how close you can hold a lighted match to a stick of dynamite, it's perfectly safe until you become the lining of a crater in the ground.

Brian.

i agree i saw on the printed circut that is says to replace the fuse with a similar size but didn't see a fuse so i put it all together so i would not lose any pieces and put it away now i will google it. it is safer that way.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back