Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to instantiate SystemVerilog netlist inside Verilog-2001

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwdonal

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I need to make the subject line a bit more specific:

"How to instantiate a SystemVerilog netlist (with an interface at the top-level) inside of a Verilog-2001 module".

I have an SV design that has an interface at the top-level as follows:

Code:
module my_design_top (

//more ports...
Video_Output_If.mp_drvr vid_out_if,
//more ports...

);

// code here

endmodule

The interface definition is as follows:

Code:
interface Video_Output_If ();

logic o_vid_de;
  logic o_vid_hsync_n;
  logic o_vid_vsync_n;

modport mp_drvr (
    output o_vid_de,
    output o_vid_hsync_n,
    output o_vid_vsync_n
  );

endinterface : Video_Output_If

So my question is, once I synthesize this design, how do I then instantiate it in a verilog-2001 module? It must be possible right?? (I hope.) But I can't seem to figure it out. I've tried the following:

Code:
my_design_top my_design_top_inst (
// other ports

.vid_out_if.o_vid_de(o_vid_de),
  .vid_out_if.o_vid_hsync_n(o_vid_hsync_n),
  .vid_out_if.o_vid_vsync_n(o_vid_vsync_n),

// other ports
);

But that of course doesn't work because the verilog compiler freaks out about the extra '.' saying:

Error: line 837: unexpected token: '.'

So then I thought I should be able to add a '\' to escape the extra '.' like this:

Code:
.vid_out_if\.o_vid_de(o_vid_de),

But I still got the exact same error about unexpected token. Then I thought that my SV synthesis tool (I'm using Synplify C-2009.06-SP1) would have an option to rename the top-level interface ports into a syntax that would be accessible by Verilog-2001. But I couldn't find any such option - although I don't really know what I'm looking for either. Haha.

Just out of curiosity I opened up the Synplify EDIF netlist and saw the following:

Code:
           (port (rename vid_out_if_o_vid_de "vid_out_if.o_vid_de") (direction OUTPUT)
           (property unqual_imvar_name (string "o_vid_de"))
           (property svint_from_interface (integer 1))
 )
           (port (rename vid_out_if_o_vid_hsync_n "vid_out_if.o_vid_hsync_n") (direction OUTPUT)
           (property unqual_imvar_name (string "o_vid_hsync_n"))
 )
           (port (rename vid_out_if_o_vid_vsync_n "vid_out_if.o_vid_vsync_n") (direction OUTPUT)
           (property unqual_imvar_name (string "o_vid_vsync_n"))
 )

I honestly don't know very much about how netlists work but it seems to me that if I could get Synplify to stop "renaming" the '_' back to a '.' then I would have my solution. What do you think?

Any advice you have would be _really_ sppreciated.

Thanks!! :)

Added after 1 hours 46 minutes:

Well, just out of curiosity I attempted to replace the extra '.' with an underscore in the EDF netlist that I showed you in my previous post and IT WORKED! Can you believe it!? I got my design to implement all the way through to bitstream no problem. Haha.

Here is the modified netlist excerpt (I only changed 3 characters - haha. Notice the extra period is now an underscore for the 'rename' command):

Code:
           (port (rename vid_out_if_o_vid_de "vid_out_if_o_vid_de") (direction OUTPUT)
           (property unqual_imvar_name (string "o_vid_de"))
 )
           (port (rename vid_out_if_o_vid_hsync_n "vid_out_if_o_vid_hsync_n") (direction OUTPUT)
           (property unqual_imvar_name (string "o_vid_hsync_n"))
 )
           (port (rename vid_out_if_o_vid_vsync_n "vid_out_if_o_vid_vsync_n") (direction OUTPUT)
           (property unqual_imvar_name (string "o_vid_vsync_n"))
 )

Of course, the fact that I have to modify the raw netlist is absolutely silly and a pain to have to do every time I re-synthesize my design. But, hey, at least there is a work-around!

Does ANYONE know of a way to tell Synplify to use this type of naming convention for top-level ports? There must be some Synplify guru out there who has an answer.

Thanks! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back