Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to increase the space between polygone edges and tracks/pads in Protel PCB design

Status
Not open for further replies.

maijaz99

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone,

I have designed a PCB in Protel. It is a single sided board. After completing I placed a polygon as GND powerplane. As you can see in attachment there is very small clrearance between polygone edges and tracks/pads. I have tried my best to increase the distance but found no options in the software. Even I have tried design rules but I suppose I allows only in multilayer boards. Can any body guide me how to do that.

Thanks

Re: Help me in Protel

The rule that controls the spacing is the Design Rule for Clearance. When you pour your polygon, whatever that Design Rule is set for, the spaces between the poly and the tracks will be that value. You'll find the rule by going to Design>>Rules>>Clearance Constraints. Once the rule is set up, you need to repour the polygon.

You can make a special rule for polygons if you don't want to change the general clearance rule. I'll need to know what version of Protel you're using, and what spacing you want, before I can tell you exactly how to do it - there are slight differences between Protel99SE and the newer DXP/AD versions.

To measure distances in Protel, you use shortcut keys RP (report distance between primitives), and click on each of the two objects you want check for spacing. You could also use RM (report measure distance). With RM you click on each of two points, and you'll get the distance between those two points.

Help me in P*otel

Thanks House_Cat. I am using Protel99SE and I would preferably use spacing not less than 0.5mm and not more than 1.0mm depending on my desing.

Re: Help me in Protel

Here are the steps to set polygon clearance in Protel99SE.
1. Go to Design>>Rules
2. Select Clearance Constraint
3. Select "Add"
4. Select "Filter Kind" and choose "Object Kind"
5. Check "Polygon"
6. Type in your desired clearance from all other kinds of objects.
7. Choose "Different Nets Only" (you want it to connect to the same net)
8. Select "OK"
9. Close the Design Rule dialog
10. Repour the polygon to get your new clearance. To repour, just double click on the polygon and select "OK".

Help me in P*otel

Thank you for such illustrative and elaborate help. I really appreciate your favor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back