Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to design an ADC circuit with an external sampled signal

Status
Not open for further replies.

nadd

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone,

I'm very new to designing a circuit. So, I need some help.

I need to design an ADC for an external, sampled, single-ended signal. The frequency is 1 Mhz, and desired speed is at least 4msps and the resolution is at least 14 bits.
I checked ADC chips and found LTC2314-14 to use. But, LTC2314-14 has inputs for S/H, and my input signal is already sampled. Would it be a problem? (LTC2314-14 Datasheet: https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/609/231414fa-2954440.pdf )

Also, I found ADS1605, this one has differential input, so will I need a single-ended to differential converter? (ADS1605 Datasheet: https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/ads1605.pdf?ts=1664705456913 )

If there are any different ADC chips that you would recommend, please let me know. (Preferably, easy to solder). Also, which additional components should I use in my design?

Thanks in advance!

Regarding post #38 results. What's the idea behind a sample delay equal to sine period? In case of 100 Hz the actual delay results in a kind of imperfect equivalent time sampling.

If you target to 2 MHz sampling rate, you can stop Arduino experiments, even if you don't use ultra slow UART data transmission an get rid of unsuitable float arithmetic, you can't achievec more than a few 100 kHz rate.

I suggest to visualize with pencil and paper sampling of 1 MHz sine at e.g. 2.1 MHz. How many samples do you need to determine phase and magnitude with a certain accuracy, e.g. 1 %?

Thanks again to all.

I realized lately that I have a very big noise problem.

The noise without any analog input.
noise2.PNG

Hence, whatever I do I see distorted results because of the noise. The analog input is max/min +/- 200mV, then the opamp amplifies(about 10 gain) and lifts(about +2V) the signal to min/max 0V to 4V. The noise probably also gets these processes. The actual analog input will be reflected signals from the ground, so it has not a proper shape. So, how can I apply a filter?

The code I use:

Code:
#include <SPI.h> // include the SPI library

const int csPin = 10; // CS pin for ADC
const int sdoPin = 12; // SDO pin for ADC
const int sckPin = 13; // SCK pin for ADC

void setup() {
Serial.begin(2000000); // start serial communication
pinMode(csPin, OUTPUT); // set CS pin as output
digitalWrite(csPin, HIGH); // set CS pin high to disable ADC communication
SPI.begin(); // start SPI communication
}

void loop() {
digitalWrite(csPin, LOW); // enable ADC communication

// configure the SPI communication with the ADC
SPISettings spiSettings(2000000, MSBFIRST, SPI_MODE3); // 1MHz clock frequency, MSB first, and SPI mode 3
SPI.beginTransaction(spiSettings); // start the transaction

// initiate a read operation on the ADC
unsigned int adcValue = SPI.transfer16(0x0000);

digitalWrite(csPin, HIGH); // disable ADC communication

// end the transaction
//SPI.endTransaction();

adcValue >>= 1;

float voltage = (adcValue * 4.096) / 16384; // calculate voltage based on reference voltage and ADC resolution

Serial.println(voltage); // print voltage to serial port
//delay(0.00001);
}

Best regards

Hi,
I realized lately that I have a very big noise problem.
I don´t think so. You simply don´t accept what we try to teach you. Timing still is not correct and not stable.
Not stable timing (jitter) results in noisy ADC results. (post #32).

--> Just use a scope to validate the ADC input signal.
I bet it´s not that noisy/distorted than the signal shown in post#42.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back