How to create blind and buried vias in OrCAD Layout PLus ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jinboqiu

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
blind via orcad

Are the anyone can tell me , how to define and use Blind and buried vias in Layout plus?
Thanks!

how to create blind via orcad

Hi,

in the padstack-table you can define the properties of vias and pads. if you define a via only at 2 layers (or more) and set the other to undefined, you can create burried and blind vias.

greetings,
hqqh

Re: How to create blind and buried vias in OrCAD Layout PLus

That´s a very usefull info. I had the same problem.
Just another question, what about microvías?

Thanks.

I think you can similarly define uvia by selecting the starting layer as top or layer 1 and making end layer either undefined or particular layer number you want uvia to end at.

Re: How to create blind and buried vias in OrCAD Layout PLus

You´re right Anonymous-Ricky, it works. Layout doesn´t complain.
Thank you very much.

So far, I thought that OrCAD layout doesn't support blind and buried vias. If anyone was able to make it work, could you post a screenshot of a blind or buried via in OrCAD layout?

Cheers,
- Nick

I tried defining the via in only some of the layers in the pad stack editor. But if I go to a layer not defined for the via and turn on layer DRL, I see the drill hole. So by not defining the via in that layer, there is no annular ring for a routing layer and no clearance for a plane layer but there is still the drill hole. On a plane layer, it looks the same as when you define flood planes and poors. So I don't think the NC drill "tape" thruhole.tap will be right. Any advice?

You need to create a drill file for all layer pairs, that is every span of layers covered by your burried and blind vias.
From the help files:
If you want Layout to output a single drill tape file named THRUHOLE.TAP for both plated and non-plated through holes, select the Combine Plated/Non-Plated Thru Holes check box in the Post Process Settings dialog box.

In addition, Layout automatically generates drill tape files for each layer pair that shares a blind or buried via and names them accordingly. For example, a file with the name 1_4.TAP includes data related to layers 1, 4, and all layers in between.

I tried as you said Sir. but I am not getting how to pair the drill file to all layer. could you explain how it is....?

I'll try and jog my memory, its 3 years since I last used Oracd.

I played with Layout Plus today. I found that just by having vias that wern't defined on all used layers, when I ran the post processing, it automatically created 2 drill files.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…