Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to create blind and buried vias in OrCAD Layout PLus ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jinboqiu

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
blind via orcad

Are the anyone can tell me , how to define and use Blind and buried vias in Layout plus?
Thanks!

how to create blind via orcad

Hi,

in the padstack-table you can define the properties of vias and pads. if you define a via only at 2 layers (or more) and set the other to undefined, you can create burried and blind vias.

greetings,
hqqh

Re: How to create blind and buried vias in OrCAD Layout PLus

That´s a very usefull info. I had the same problem.
Just another question, what about microvías?

Thanks.

I think you can similarly define uvia by selecting the starting layer as top or layer 1 and making end layer either undefined or particular layer number you want uvia to end at.

Re: How to create blind and buried vias in OrCAD Layout PLus

You´re right Anonymous-Ricky, it works. Layout doesn´t complain.
Thank you very much.

So far, I thought that OrCAD layout doesn't support blind and buried vias. If anyone was able to make it work, could you post a screenshot of a blind or buried via in OrCAD layout?

Cheers,
- Nick

I tried defining the via in only some of the layers in the pad stack editor. But if I go to a layer not defined for the via and turn on layer DRL, I see the drill hole. So by not defining the via in that layer, there is no annular ring for a routing layer and no clearance for a plane layer but there is still the drill hole. On a plane layer, it looks the same as when you define flood planes and poors. So I don't think the NC drill "tape" thruhole.tap will be right. Any advice?

You need to create a drill file for all layer pairs, that is every span of layers covered by your burried and blind vias.
From the help files:
If you want Layout to output a single drill tape file named THRUHOLE.TAP for both plated and non-plated through holes, select the Combine Plated/Non-Plated Thru Holes check box in the Post Process Settings dialog box.

In addition, Layout automatically generates drill tape files for each layer pair that shares a blind or buried via and names them accordingly. For example, a file with the name 1_4.TAP includes data related to layers 1, 4, and all layers in between.

I tried as you said Sir. but I am not getting how to pair the drill file to all layer. could you explain how it is....?

I played with Layout Plus today. I found that just by having vias that wern't defined on all used layers, when I ran the post processing, it automatically created 2 drill files.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back