Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] how does a flipflop with setup time violation function??

Status
Not open for further replies.

mailsrikanth007

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
flip flop setup time

Can someone tell me how a flipflop with setup time violation function? a flop with hold time violation will act as a simple buffer. In the same way how it acts with setup time violation?

Please let me know

setup time for flip flop

Increase the clock period, so that the logic will have enough time for the computation. Fro ex : if your clock period is "X ns" when u have seen a setup violation of "Y ns". Make u r new clock period to be "X+Y ns". This is the simplest way if you have relaxed target frequency.

flip flop setup time hold frequency

I don't think a flip-flop with hold violation is a buffer. In fact, the behavior of a flip-flop with setup/hold violation is unknow, the output value is unpredictable. And the CK->Q delay will increase.

why hold time in flip flop

Hi mailsrikanth007,
Can you please quote the reference from where you find that "a flop with hold time violation will act as a simple buffer" ?
It is interesting to know about it...

I'm agree with yx.yang that "the behavior of a flip-flop with setup/hold violation is unknow, the output value is unpredictable. And the CK->Q delay will increase."

function of flip flop delay

I dont have a reference but i can explain this way...

In a scan chain if one the flip-flop has hold time violaion then the output will appear one clock in advance. This is because the defected flip-flop cannot hold the value and acts as a buffer. This is how flip-flops with hold time violation are detected. I cannot give any reference for this but I am 100% confident because i was asked this question in one of the interviews and the interviewer himself gave me this answer.

In the same way I suppose there will be a way in which set-up time violation will affect a scan chain.

setup time in flip flop

Depending on the flip-flop architecture, a setup or hold time violation could cause the output of the flop be become unknown, or metastable

d flip flop setup time violation

I agree with the guys which state that it will move to a metastable state... The buffer-answer is poorly supported and as no reference was presented, i would suggest to leave it behind...

Pavlos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back