Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

High quanlity or Mil standard PCB

Status
Not open for further replies.

AVIANO

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I want to inquire about the quality of the PCB. Normally PCB (FR4) their pads are peel off after two to three time of repairing (soldering). I have seen PCB which are being soldered for more than 20 times but never get their pads removed, with the same temperature.
Kindly mentioned some type of boards (FR4) having high grade. If it is Miltary standard, than which standard? so that the manufacturing make me that kind?. I mean how I ask or go for that PCB in technical terms?

You can go for the FR4 TG170 boards. Just told them to give beside other parameters like HASL, 17micron etc.

Regards

AVIANO

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Awarapunshee said:
You can go for the FR4 TG170 boards. Just told them to give beside other parameters like HASL, 17micron etc.

Regards

Thanks for the quick and fast reply.

Sorry I did not mentioned that I already made from FR4 TG170, but these boards has also not much higher number, although it is better than normal FR4, but I need higher than this.

Hi Aviano,
If your PCBs are single layer types, it will not much help i.e. a military version/technology...
If the said boards have through metalyzed vias/holes than it has maybe a bad serie of glue, or sorry-your soldering technique is not the best!?
You must be sure that the solder temp is correct & you didnt make an extreme mechanical force on the pads...
K.

karesz said:
Hi Aviano,
If your PCBs are single layer types, it will not much help i.e. a military version/technology...
If the said boards have through metalyzed vias/holes than it has maybe a bad serie of glue, or sorry-your soldering technique is not the best!?
You must be sure that the solder temp is correct & you didnt make an extreme mechanical force on the pads...
K.

Thanks for the reply.

It is double and multilayer.

Actually I have both the PCB, one I got from manufacturer with FR4 TG170 and other my friend give for the sample, (he did not know the parameter). The soldering iron and the component used same for the both the boards, mine one pads peels off (for TG170) after 10 times whereas other PCB did not peel after even 30 times. So I want to know the parameter (name) like TG170 etc so that I can tell the manufacturer to make.

Hi,
Sorry, nobody has to solder a pad for 10-30 minutes!!
Standards holds on soldering toimes i.e. at 10---30 seconds! :)
I can understand that you will be sur, but a testing to make some dead is not be so direct a goal...
By hand (&with tip pressing by automates) soldering is important that you apply practically no pull/push forces onto the pads!
K.

karesz said:
Hi,
Sorry, nobody has to solder a pad for 10-30 minutes!!
Standards holds on soldering toimes i.e. at 10---30 seconds! :)
I can understand that you will be sur, but a testing to make some dead is not be so direct a goal...
By hand (&with tip pressing by automates) soldering is important that you apply practically no pull/push forces onto the pads!
K.

Thanks for the reply and your precious time. But please read carefully before you reply. I never write any thing like that I solder 10 to 30 minutes. I just wrote that number of times of solder.
What I want a parameter like TG170, or one can say bonding strength between copper and boards. which during manufacturing need to be considered.

I have seen PCB in some of the military equipment, which can be soldered and de-soldered much more number of times than ordinary (commercial) PCB.
In commercial a parameter TG170 is asked for the FR4 boards (which many people don't know, while asking for manufacturing) which is a bonding strength of copper to the boards.
I know how to solder and what temperature for different type of solder wire and size is used and how much time one should hold it etc etc.

So my question is straight " Is there any parameter for the PCB manufacturing to be considered so that above problem can be solved?".
This question is for the people who are in PCB manufacturing or having extensive experience/knowledge in this regards.
THanks

what i do to protect the pads and tracks is solder with the stable temp see if u have soldering station to maintain temp its good but if u dont have.... then cheap and best method is u can use any variable fan regulator parallel to the soldering iron to maintain temp .....so it works out well.. that's what i am doing at home...

sanjubluerock3 said:
what i do to protect the pads and tracks is solder with the stable temp see if u have soldering station to maintain temp its good but if u dont have.... then cheap and best method is u can use any variable fan regulator parallel to the soldering iron to maintain temp .....

I have a very high quality soldering station, temperature controlled. I need only PCB parameters thats all. I know how to solder, how to maintain temperature, what is the effects of temperature on Pads, etc etc. Please read carefully and answer. Thanks anyway for your reply.

AVIANO said:
...I have a very high quality soldering station, temperature controlled. I need only PCB parameters thats all. I know how to solder, how to maintain temperature, what is the effects of temperature on Pads, etc etc. Please read carefully and answer. Thanks anyway for your reply.
Hali avi...
If you are so clever; whats than your problem pls!?
Why can cou not contact & ask pls a military qualified PCB producer or even an aproved basis material provider/deliverer, or minimum some mil-electoinics forum? :_)
Or is it for you only interessant the other to critcize?...
Anyway, if I wrote over solder time of 10..30 minutes= it was your real (added) soldering time after ca. 20 tryings/experimental solderings - or do you solder in only 10 seconds?_sorry :)

Pls think clearfully & asnwer correct! Thanks anyway for your understanding.
Greetings
K.

BTW;
Im over 30 years a "ESA qualified controller of soldering & crimped contacts" (no joke!), if you knows what it means, but I can not say so 100% as you, my friend, that I know that my solder temp & solder technique are every times perfect for a PCB if I dont have a datasheet/tested-erued parameters from that_these is (I think) basically a difference between us...

Thanks karesz for the reply and your precious time.

AVIANO said:
Thanks karesz for the reply and your precious time.

this shows that u are still criticizing Mr.karresz's answer indirectly thats what i feel any way forget it...

hi Aviano...
have you specified class of the PCB??
i think Class1 is for general purpose and of low quality. Class3 is the best.but price cost be high.

For new RoHS components to solder you need PCB material (say FR4) with TG > 170 .
It is better to contact your PCB fabricator for more info.

AVIANO

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
NIKHILRAJ said:
hi Aviano...
have you specified class of the PCB??
i think Class1 is for general purpose and of low quality. Class3 is the best.but price cost be high.

For new RoHS components to solder you need PCB material (say FR4) with TG > 170 .
It is better to contact your PCB fabricator for more info.

Thanks for the reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back