Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[PIC] help with MPLAb, including ICD2

Status
Not open for further replies.

KhaledOsmani

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
problem:
Connecting to MPLAB ICD 2
ICD0019: Failed to open communications: Non-existent port
ICD0021: Unable to connect with MPLAB ICD 2

Reason? Solution?

no,

because the ICD2/Drivers folder doesn't contain but bunch of pictures of how to install ICD2, with no actual drivers folder

What IDE or Programming Application and its version number are you using with ICD 2.

What P/N and version of the ICD 2 do you have?

BigDog

MPLAB IDE v7.20, in the pic programmer box, there only exists a CD, and this:

- - - Updated - - -

I used to have everything set up in the lab, but I thought to buy it, because I have more ideas to program, and I do not have to wait until I go to the lab.

I`m not familiar with these products and softwares.
I just installed the MPLAB v7.20 and as used to , went to programmer, select programmer, MPLAB ICD2.
I have no clue what this is all up, my aim is just to get the hex file to the MCU, in order to test it. could me problem be solved, with no extra buyings,

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    824.4 KB · Views: 80

Your programming device looks like a PICkit2 clone, not an ICD2 clone.

What OS are you currently running on your PC?

BigDog

windows XP

- - - Updated - - -

how, to select the programmer from the programmer list, without occuring any errors? software issue, or external device must be bought?

Hi,

Just follow on from BDG it looks more like a diy build rather than a purchased clone, can you post the plan of it so we can say if its a Pickit2 or ICD 2.

Also 3 large electrolytic caps like those shown don't look quiet right to me ...?

Easy enough to update to the final MPlab IDE v 8.92 from Microchips site.
May not do anything for your current problems or code but should help in the future.
**broken link removed**

The last version of MPLAB released was v8.92, so I recommend downloading the latest version:

**broken link removed**

I would also recommend downloading the latest version of the PICkit Software, v2.55.02 available at the bottom of the same page.

Direct Download Links:

MPLAB IDE v8.92

PICkit 2 Software for Windows v2.55.02

Before install the above software, disconnect your PIC programmer, then install both the MPLAB IDE and PICkit 2 software.

Once both software packages are installed, reconnect your PIC programmer, the OS should identify the PIC Programmer and attempt to load the correct driver automatically.

If Windows XP fails to find the driver, it can be found within the MPLAB install directory, most likely a PICkit2 rather than the ICD2.

How does OS identify the device when initially connected?

As wp100 suggested, post the programmer schematics so that we can study it and ensure it is a PIC programmer of some type?

BigDog

just in a second dear

- - - Updated - - -

same issue, it says now that PICkit2 not found!

- - - Updated - - -

There are no schematics of it, I pictured it from above:

- - - Updated - - -

This, comes with an installation CD, that's it.

Attachments

• photo(1).JPG
    photo(1).JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 75

When you initially connect the device, does the OS request a driver or is the device identified in some way?

Does the installation CD contain a specific driver, user manual, etc?

Where did you purchase the device and do they have a website?

From what type of components is the device constructed, is there a PIC or other microcontroller in the design?

BigDog

only PIC.
It is called 41 PIC PROGRAMMER USB SMD.
I noticed that, each time, I try to install the MPLAB ICD2 client, a physical dumb occurs in my system, forcing the pc to shunt down, to prevent damage....

- - - Updated - - -

This is the stage, before having a physical memory crash, then restart:

Attachments

• error.JPG
    error.JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 76

Hi,

Just been searching for that board and can only find one reference to it at this site which also has the pdf for the device.
However the Manual and Software links do not seem to work.
**broken link removed**

Assume you have their manual and software, does that tell you to load in some software /driver as if its an ICD2 ?

Would help if you could give more info on it rather than having us struggling to find details on the web.

Would help if you could give more info on it rather than having us struggling to find details on the web.

Yes, this is way I typically avoid "clone" programmer posts like the plague.

I noticed on the product overview PDF available from the link wp100 posted, the only component mentioned was the FT232BM, I wonder if this device is a PICPgm USB variant?

PICPgm USB Programmer

Or WinPiC

WinPic - A PIC Programmer for Windows

@KhaledOsmani

In any event, there is not much more we can do for you in this situation.

Examine the CDROM carefully for a compatible software application, as it appears the device is directly compatible with neither MPLAB, ICD2 nor PICkit2 Application.

The product brief explicitly states the device requires a specific software application to function.

Or you might try the PICPgm or WinPic software, perhaps it is compatible.

Or contact EKT directly for support:

And request the required software application/driver.

Or spend a few dollars and purchase a PICkit2 compatible clone, from eBay or another source. I'm sure wp100 can recommend a good source.

Or build your own programmer, like a PICPgm compatible from the URL post above.

BigDog

There are no more informations about the device.
Its box only include the pic programmer, a data USB, and an installation CD. That's it. If else I would give you all informations!

Tried WinPIC, also, error from reading from device. No solution...

- - - Updated - - -

The funny thing, is that when you see its description in PDF, you directly want to buy it for being cheap, user-friendly, no external power supply, and direct to use , lol

Hi,

Think you have purchased a very unusual programmer and thats why no one knows how to use it.

I would have thought you would have to load in the software disk onto your xp system, but without knowing anything about it, cannot say if it uses Microchips software which would allow it to be run direct from Mplab or as I suspect it may be a stand alone program where you have to load in your .hex file.

Also looking at that pdf you do seem to have a very limited selection of devices you can program.

If you cannot get help from your supplier or work things out from the software disc then think you might be better getting a Pickit2 / clone.

You can buy a Sure Electronics clone from Ebay or a genuine Pickit2 or pickt3 from a Microchip supplier.

If you are in to building your own there are lots of diy Pickit2 clones detailed in this forum with info on how to program up the chip needed to run it.

However there are lots of simpler diy programmers to get you going - here is one I built and used before the pickit2; assumes you still have a parallel port on your pc ?

There are also the JDM types which run off the Serial port; they work for some folk but never did for me ..?

Attachments

• Pic Parallel Programmer.pdf
    322.2 KB · Views: 106

@KhaledOsmani

Can you provide a list of files on the CDROM?

Is there anyway to open the case and photograph the PCB? Or at least list the major components?

If the only major IC is the FT232BM, as stated in the product literature, then I strongly suspect it is a low voltage programmer in which case you'll need to install the D2XX driver from FTDI to enable bit-bang mode and use a standalone programming application like the PICPgm.

Otherwise, I would either build the simple parallel programmer wp100 suggested or purchase a PICkit2 clone for a few dollars.

BigDog

@bigdogguru

I saw that the major IC, is "FT232BM"
Is there any new instructions to make it work?

- - - Updated - - -

Here is what's in the CD:

Attachments

• CD.jpg
    CD.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 69

Hi,

Well reading that pdf again it does clearly state that you load your .hex code in to their program, so seems its not intended to work directly from MPlab.

If you try using other software like Winpic etc you have to select the type of programmer board you are using, does not seem yours has got a valid name for them.

I do wonder then what makes you think you should be loading in the ICD2 driver /software ?? - have not seen anything that gives me a hint its an ICD2

Again its hard to establish if they mean their firmware is loaded in to the FT232 chip or another micro chip ?

Can you do a print screen / directory listing of those disks so we can see what software has been supplied.

Would have thought the disk has the required driver on it, but if not have you tried downloading the XP FT232 driver from here https://www.ftdichip.com/FTDrivers.htm

- - - Updated - - -

@bigdogguru

I saw that the major IC, is "FT232BM"
Is there any new instructions to make it work?

- - - Updated - - -

Here is what's in the CD:

Hi,

If you plug the board into the PC it should ask for you to say where the drivers are and you select the Drivers XP folder - does that work properly ?

Status
Not open for further replies.