Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help me understand how this circuit for measuring the doppler effect works

Status
Not open for further replies.

freeindy

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi.

I have a problem understanding the circuit I have attached. As i understand, the signal that is received (in sinusodial form) is being "converted" to a pulse length depending on the incoming signal's frequency. Am I right on this? Can anyone explain me maybe in more detail about what is really going on. Would appreciate it lot.

The circuit is to measure the doppler effect on moving targets. The signal is sent by a certain frequency (36 Mhz) and recieved by the circuit attached.

Thanks

Indy

Re: Receiver

It looks like a downconverting scheme from RF to IF frequency which is determined by the series LC tank.

Re: Receiver

Hi lads, Thanks for your reply.

Renwl: Yes, the signal is received by the photodiod.

Jim:
Yeah, it looks like that. I think the downconverted frequency is what charge/discharge the capacitor at the end to give a pulse. But the values seems odd to me. The reason is, the resonance freq of the tank circuit is 159 Mhz and incoming freq. is 36 Mhz. what is the IF freq?

Indy

Status
Not open for further replies.