Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help me learn programming the ADE7753 chip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Janelda

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I have to do a project in energy metering, and i am basically just starting with it. I can't find any description on how to start programming the chip,like which programmer to use or any circuit diagrams to connect the energy meter to the programmer.

Can anybody please give me some guidance?

Thanks,
JJ

ade7753 programming

Janelda said:
I can't find any description on how to start programming the chip,like which programmer to use or any circuit diagrams to connect the energy meter to the programmer.

JJ

Have you read the datasheet

ade7753 example

Yes i have, the datasheet only describes registers and such, not the actual connections and programmer to do the programming.

ade7753 interfacing

Janelda said:
Yes i have, the datasheet only describes registers and such, not the actual connections and programmer to do the programming.

Pin description is on pages 9-10 and test circuit on page 15. What connections you are not clear with?

sadesigner81

Let me explain to you.

For example, if you use the PIC from microchip, you would have to connect the pins of the programmer to certain pins of the PIC, then you will also need the PICkit2 software to do your coding on in C to initialize ports and serial interface, interupts etc. and to enable downloading onto the chip.

Now with this ADE7753, no where in the datasheet does it tell me what software i need and if i should use c,whether i need a programmer to do so,nothing. since you say the diagram is on page 15 i can now only assume i need some program that will serially download the information to the meter. So, can i just connect the chip to a max232 for serial communication to a computer using a serial to USB connector?m Where can i get the software i need and a tutorial on how to use it?

ade7753 calibration example

This chip comes with SPI interface. You will need to interface this chip with a microcontroller using SPI interface to configure it. See the pin description.
Search EDABOARD for "ADE7753"; there are many posts here which would be helpful for you

ade7753 110v

Thank you so much for the help, i do really appreciate it. Please tell me if i now understand correctly.

The pins used for serial communication are 17-20, and they are ONLY used to calibrate the meter. Calibration can be done by connecting these pins appropriately to a max232 IC to interface the meter to the processor. Once this is done i can make the necessary changes to the registers in the meter?

So, then this means that if i want to retrieve the measurements made by the meter, i would have to use pin 11's output pulses. Can i connect this directly to a processor to count the pulses in software, or do i need some type of interface here as well?

Oh and a question about the figure 30 on page 15, are those test voltages and currents from a work bench or is the meter actually connected to the mains supply there, and do the capacitor values change if i were to apply 230V and not 110V?

Can you perhaps also tell me how one can test whether the outputs of the meter are the correct energy measurements?

Thanks a million.

descripcion pines ade7753

What processor do you want to interface with? What is the operating voltage of that processor? ADE7753 works with 5v but still can be interfaced with either 3.3v or 5v processor IOs quite simply. You dont need max232 IC at all. This is NOT asyncronous serial communiction as with PC serial port, this is different. This is Syncronous Serial Interface (SPI).
The SPI interface of ADE7753 is not just for calibration, you can read energy measurment either by counting the pulses(page 31) or reading the regsiters through SPI interface.
Capacitor values will be the same whether it is 110v or 230v. I suggest read page 16 to figure out how much is the maximum voltage that the analog input pins can withstand and so select the voltage divider resistors for mains voltage input and CT input accordingly

ade7753 use

I want to interface to a Q2687 from Wavecom, i must of confused SPI with UART, guess i have some more reading to do as i dont know the difference.

How does one test meter accuracy?

Thanks

Re: Beginner in ADE7753

where do u get the ade7753 and the price

Re: Beginner in ADE7753

Hi there,

It depends on where you are staying. I bought mine from AVNET corp. in Jo-burg. They cost about R30/R40. You need to find a distributor in your area.

hi Janelda and saDesigner81 ,
I need some ideas and information's about the ADE7753 IC,can you help me?

H!!!!!

I think you should learn energy metering encyclopedia then u will get basically knowledge
**broken link removed**

- - - Updated - - -

H!!!!!

I think you should learn energy metering encyclopedia then u will get basically knowledge
http://pantagonesatellite.co.in/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back