Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

mosfet 2 source selector help

johnny78

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi Guys

i need to select between 2 battery souces to power some lamps

is thery any problem using this circuit or anything else to consider about ?
is it ok to connect the both drains of
Circuit.jpg
the mosfets this way?

thanks for help
Johnny

Last edited:
Hi,

there may be some issues.

1) your schematic includes no GND symbol, thus we don´t know where to reference voltages.

2) a MOSFET decides ON/OFF according it´s V_GS. V_GS means voltage between gate and source.
Since the source in your case is at 12V, you need to drive the gate HIGHER than 12V to make the MOSFET switch ON.
We don´t know your SW1 input voltage ... thus we don´t know if your circuit will operate correctly.

3) As shown in the symbol a MOSFET includes a diode. Thus if you SWITCH ON the higher battery voltage it may automatically cause to "charge" the lower voltage battery. Maybe you want it this way, maybe not.

We don´t know your load current, thus we can´t validate proper circuit operation, nor can we give detailed assistance / recommendations.

We don´t know how your switch is driven. If it is a real mechanical switch, then just use it to select between batteries. no MOSFETs, resistors required.
If it´s not a real switch, then tell us how it really is

Btw: the schematic is hard to read. The batteries are drawn upside down. Usually the most negative (supply) voltage is in the lower part of the schematic, the most high (supply) voltage is at the upper part of the schematic. Singal flow, power flow, informatin flow .. should be left-to-right.

Klaus

Hi,

there may be some issues.

1) your schematic includes no GND symbol, thus we don´t know where to reference voltages.
no common Gnd is needed every mosfet source & battery has its seperate negative
in my case if the power source which is bat 1 or bat 2 is unavailable the Gnd for that mosfet source isnt important

2) a MOSFET decides ON/OFF according it´s V_GS. V_GS means voltage between gate and source.
Since the source in your case is at 12V, you need to drive the gate HIGHER than 12V to make the MOSFET switch ON.
We don´t know your SW1 input voltage ... thus we don´t know if your circuit will operate correctly.
the sw1 input will be the positive of the desired battery & i've faced this issue before using mosfet so i put small resistor 56ohm & 10kpull down one
i hope this is ok
3) As shown in the symbol a MOSFET includes a diode. Thus if you SWITCH ON the higher battery voltage it may automatically cause to "charge" the lower voltage battery. Maybe you want it this way, maybe not.
no i dont want it to charge the lower voltage battery & i dont want to use a diode wich will drop voltage as i know
but as i checked the mosfet the internal diode will prevent passing voltage to the other bat
would you please check it again?
We don´t know your load current, thus we can´t validate proper circuit operation, nor can we give detailed assistance / recommendations.
the load current isnt decided yet but this circuit only for the idea if it works i mean the common positive of batteries & load
We don´t know how your switch is driven. If it is a real mechanical switch, then just use it to select between batteries. no MOSFETs, resistors required.
If it´s not a real switch, then tell us how it really is
no i will drive it through MCU & optocouplers
Btw: the schematic is hard to read. The batteries are drawn upside down. Usually the most negative (supply) voltage is in the lower part of the schematic, the most high (supply) voltage is at the upper part of the schematic. Singal flow, power flow, informatin flow .. should be left-to-right.
im sorry for that i will enhance it next time

Last edited:

FvM

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Presume the battery symbols are drawn correctly, negative terminals at MOSFET source. Then MOSFET diode will charge the other battery if its voltage is at least 0.6 V lower than active battery. To prevent parasitic charging, you need bidirectional switches (back-to-back MOSFETs).

Presume the battery symbols are drawn correctly, negative terminals at MOSFET source. Then MOSFET diode will charge the other battery if its voltage is at least 0.6 V lower than active battery. To prevent parasitic charging, you need bidirectional switches (back-to-back MOSFETs).
so i need 2 mosfets for each channel
is there another solution like mosfet without internal diode ?
as no common point between the inputs can i put mosfets in reverse ?
one drain as outut & the other as input
what do you think ?

thanks for reply

reading this now
https://electronics.stackexchange.c...to-back-mosfets-common-source-vs-common-drain

Last edited:

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu: