Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help me implement ZPU Processor in FPGA Cyclone

Status
Not open for further replies.

brunokasimin

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
IP Cores

Is there anyone out there who has worked with IP-Core or ZPU Processor(from www.opencores.org) or any soft-core processor?? I need to implement a ZPU Processor in FPGA Cyclone.Then i should make a simple programm for the zpu processor in order to show its simple implementation to my professor.

Thx

Re: IP Cores

Hi, i have just downloaded zpu and i am planing to put it in Spartan3E. when i tried synthesizing zpu small , it gives lot of errors in trace.vhd. Also, is there any assembler for zpu? I am planing to develop a C code to blink an led in fpga using zpu. Could you please help?

Priya152 said:
Hi, i have just downloaded zpu and i am planing to put it in Spartan3E. when i tried synthesizing zpu small , it gives lot of errors in trace.vhd. Also, is there any assembler for zpu? I am planing to develop a C code to blink an led in fpga using zpu. Could you please help?

Hi priya,

I have successfully implemented the ZPU in Cyclone II. I have implemented it in VHDL. I synthesized zpu_core.vhd instead of zpu small. See the attachment which shows the sketch of overally hardware diagram. The ROM which stores the binary data which is required to blink LED. The binary data is generated from the C programm which is compiled by gcc(available in zpu too). pls let me know if u have any further question

Can i write a vhdl code to input opcodes through mem_read of zpu?if so what should be the initial order of instructions?
thankyou for the help.

Added after 2 minutes:

I would really appreciate if you could send me a .ceo file format to initialize the stack in zpu, through xilinx ISE coregen.
Thankyou

Priya152 said:
Can i write a vhdl code to input opcodes through mem_read of zpu?if so what should be the initial order of instructions?
thankyou for the help.

Added after 2 minutes:

I would really appreciate if you could send me a .ceo file format to initialize the stack in zpu, through xilinx ISE coregen.
Thankyou

I'm not so clear about your question.I dont use .ceo file format at all. You just need the startup code of zpu. What i did was, write a programm(to blink LED) in C. in this programm all the GPIO must be configured. Then it will be linked with startup code in unix environment (cygwin or cmd window.) The final output is binary code which will be the ROM in VHDL file which can be read by zpu. All you need is to connect the right pin in your board. Unfortunately i'm not familiar with xilinx. I synthesized my ZPU in FPGAdv and i used Altera Cyclone II FPGA.
I would be glad to answer further question

Status
Not open for further replies.