Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

gps logger .... which type of memeory should be used..

Status
Not open for further replies.

dani

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I am here with a project which needs to be log gps sentence GPRMC or GPGGA every two second(gps update rate). GPS giving rs232 output and i want to make a PIC microcontroller based simple gps logger which can record these sentences in the form of raw bytes for one day. It is basically to check the Van movment whole the day.

Now i need advise that what type of memory should be used to store these raw bytes . I have tried to use I2C memories 24c256 etc. But some time it doesnt write or read the right data to and from it. May be some circuit mistake as my electroincs side is not of much higher standard.

Is there other high speed large datastorage eeprom which can easily be intface with PIC microcontrollers. then pleasee tell

regards

This is quite "slow" application - saving some bytes every second - so any serial EEprom, 2-wire(I2C) 24Cxxx or 3-wire 93Cxx, should perform well ..
If you have problem with an I2C EEprom try to identify and eliminate the reason(s) rather than to look for different type of memory ..

Regrads,
IanP

Hi

I have done a similar project using M25P64 flash memory form st to log gps & sytem data

All the best

Bobi

Have a look at Atmel Dataflash

They come in rather big sizes , and a software SPI is easy to make.

/Bingo

Yes, dani, why not try to solve the I2C problem? Check the pull-up resistors, I2C timing, START/STOP conditions, etc...

Michael Zhang

==============================
Your Ideal Prototyping PCB service:
**broken link removed**
==============================

Status
Not open for further replies.