Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Garage Door Remote Open using computer from car?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LanceVance

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
open garage door with computer

Soon to be buying a laptop, which i plan to mount in my car and i thought it would be neat to have the whole WIFI sniffer set up (for legitimate perposes only, no hacking, cracking, and the such) And i was wondering if it would be possible to (even using a different type of transmitter) replicate the signal on my remote control garage door opener, to open the garage with a Visual Basic program. any tips on how to start this project, or any of the steps i might take along the way would be wonderfull... PS, i use computers, know more than an average user, can do a little Visual Basic, but otherwise am pretty limited on my knowledge of electronisc and signals and all that, so laymans terms would be appreciated.
PSS: Garage door is craftsman, soon to own laptop will more than likely be Alienware, car is 2006 Mitsubishi Lancer ES

open garage door from computer

Most openers use a rotating pseudo-random code these days. Hard to duplicate. The easiest way is to take apart your remote control and solder wires to the push-button and battery. Then mount the remote somewhere out of the way. Use the laptop to toggle one of the serial or parallel port pins to open/close the door. Power the remote from the car voltage (you'll need a down converter 12 v to 3 v or whatever your remote needs).

Another way is to install a net server device in the garage that you can connect to with WiFi. Wire the controls to the garage door button inside the garage.

garage door sniffer

Sounds good, and easier, how would i use the parralel port to toggle the switch? (sorry, not all that familiar with this area)

open any garage door laptop

The easiest way is to write a simple VB program with a button labelled 'Garage Door'. When this button is clicked, the program pulses the parallel port pin which pulses the remote control.

If you don't know VB this is a great, simple project to learn it. You can download a free .Net version. Search this forum for parallel port and you will find many solutions to controlling the parallel port. My favorite is inpout32.dll.

Give it a try and then post any problems or questions on the forum and people will be happy to help you through it.

hacking door remote control

u could give it a try. it is a very good project in fact. I wuld suggest u to make a front end in VB for Garage door opening and also then put it with a wifi control to the remote of the garage.
any other help the do come back

wired car garage door remote

its psuedo random generator in the remote control signal cann' t we try different combinations or just record signals as they will reapete again as generator sequece is puedo random.

garage door remote control hacking

The reason it's encrypted is so no one can do this. You'll never figure it out.

sniffer door garage

Using VB is fine for this kind of thing. I agree that the tech used in door operners are more complex signaling schemes than just on off. However the use of Serial / Paralell ports on notebooks is becoming rare very quickly. You might need something like USB?

If the notebook has integrated Bluetooth wont it be easier than WiFi. I know that Bluetooth sniffs automatically and can connect automatically too.

The wired remote in the garage / roof / secret spot is by FAR the simplest solution.

Cheers
Slayer

will my wifi signal open garage

Well sure there are more elegant solutions, but you can't beat the simplicity of a couple of wires. Laptops that don't have parallel or serial ports can use USB to parallel or USB to serial cables. These are normally plug and play.

But to use a USB dongle that has digital outputs can be difficult to setup and use. I know, I'm designing around one now. And WiFi is a lot more expensive and does require some ability to set up the system.

wifi remote control garage

I agree taht the plug 'n play converter will work but is the point not to reduce the wires?

Maybe just hacking the existing opener would be the simplest solution?

Cheers
Slayer

garage door remote control wifi

Slayerza said:
I agree taht the plug 'n play converter will work but is the point not to reduce the wires?

Maybe just hacking the existing opener would be the simplest solution?

Cheers
Slayer
Sorry but your reply is confusing to me. My original reply was to connect wires from the parallel port to the remote - the simplest solution. If he doesn't have a parallel or serial port then the next best solution is a USB to serial/parallel cable - how is that not the easiest and least wires? If your suggestion is to use a USB dongle with digital outputs, that is a much, much more complex solution. I have just done one.

What do you mean by just hacking the opener? To what end? How does that solve the problem.

Sorry - don't mean to offend, but I really don't understand your ideas..

how to set up a car for open a garage door

The simplest solution I was refering to is in reference to the WiFi idea that the topic started with. I have worked with the USB directly and yes it is indeed not simple.

Cheers
Slayerza

maybe you should first duplicate your remote control, if your remote is a fixed-code model which uses dip switches to set the address pins, then you can easily find a copy remote which can copy your rf remote face-to-face, and then maybe you can do some diy on the remote pcb board, use mcu or something to simulate the button click, but that needs some work, hope it helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back