Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

FPGA which one low cost good one!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rsrinivas

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi
planning to buy an FPGA board to make some small projects.
any suggestions
will i get any development sw with the board.
How much time will it require to ship.
I am from INDIA.
some 1000k gate count would be required.
pls do share ur ideas
Thanks in advance

cheers
srinivas

Have you decided which FPGA family you want?
Do you need any special accessories on the board?

Here's a nice list of boards:
https://www.fpga-faq.org/FPGA_Boards.shtml

The Xilinx Spartan-3E Starter Kit is a nice inexpensive board with software:
**broken link removed**

The "gate count" metric is not good for measuring an FPGA. You should read the FPGA data sheet to learn how to utilize the available resources.

I don't know anything about delivery to India, sorry.

Hi
I haven't decided on which family to go
wat do u suggest.
My concentration would be for DSP applications ike
implementing filters and so.
I found tat all companies branch offices are in
my place.
thanks in advance

cheers
srinivas

i would recommend you the Xilinx Spartan 3E Starter Kit.

actually it depends on how much money you are willing to spend and what is the level of your work. the 3E starter kit is priced at $149 and is an ideal kit for starters.

How about this one in digilent? It is only $99. They have 1000k option with $20 addition. I have not ideal if it is better than the spartan3E starter kit. Does anyone give some comments?

http://www.digilentinc.com/Products/Detail.cfm?Prod=NEXYS&Nav1=Products&Nav2=Programmable

The Nexys provides a reliable "all-in-one" circuit development platform for engineers at all levels. It can be used to implement designs ranging from simple logic circuits to complex digital systems, without needing any other components. All signals are ESD and short-circuit protected, ensuring a long operating life in any environment.

The Nexys features a 200K-gate Spartan 3 FPGA with hardware multipliers and high-speed dual-port memory arrays. Its large external memory arrays (16MB ROM/16MB RAM), collection of useful I/O devices, and numerous ports make the Nexys the perfect platform for working with embedded cores like Xilinx's Microblaze.

The Nexys is fully compatible with all versions of the Xilinx ISE tools, including the free WebPack. It ships with a power supply and a programming cable, so designs can be implemented immediately with no hidden costs. Now every student can own a state of the art development system for less than the cost of a textbook.

By the way, Digilent makes several of the boards that Xilinx sells. You can buy those boards from either company. I usually buy from Xilinx because they normally include printed manuals, and useful stuff on CDs.

Xilinx Spartan3E or Spartan3 starter kits are both wonderfull, I treid them and they were very good

yes, and thats why i recommend the 3E kit. it doesnt hurt much to pay $49 more for the extra functionality.

but there is one thing i dont like about the 3E kit and its that 100-pin hirose connector.

Thanks guys 4 ur reply's
i think i will go with the spartan 3e. however my company where i am doin research has sponsered me $200 so no probs in getting a spartan 3e.
once again thanks for ur posts

cheers
srinivas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back