Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Fiber optic cable implementation on Breadboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

akerkarprashant

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points

Can we use Fiber optic cable for testing & simulation of electrical circuits instead of copper conducting wire on Breadboard?

If Not, Why?

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar
images (85).jpeg
download - 2020-11-24T133055.208.jpeg

Thank you.

Since fiber optic cable cannot conduct electricity, can i use some external power source i.e. battery or power supply in a breadboard to use the fiber optic cable for sending data in form of Light energy ?

Hi,

I´d say every active breadborad circuit needs any external power supply. This is nothing special.
And - yes - fiber optics needs electrical energy to generate light.

Indeed I guess I misunderstood the question - since i see no alternative answer. Do you see any alternative way?

Klaus

Thank you.

The reason for using fiber optic cable in breadboard prototyping was to evaluate whether fiber optic cable could be a good alternative for high data speed instead of copper wire in implementing wireless networks viz bluetooth & wifi.

Can you suggest whether i am going in the right direction of using Fiber optic cable in breadboard for simulation & testing wireless networks speed?

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Hi,

Fiber optic needs some kind of "fiber wire".
Thus I´d call it "copper less" but not "wire less"

Fiber optic communication is:
electrical input signal --> optical transmitter --> optical fiber --> optical transmitter --> electrical output signal
Nothing special. You may use it on breadboard... for rather low frequency signals, because the breadboard is not suitable for high frequency signals.

for high speed data:
* the fiber optic is not the problem
* but the breadboard is the problem

Klaus

Light transmission has a few advantages:

* Fiber optic can be one-way, does not need current return path
* If line-of-sight is available then led/laser can send through air to photosensor (fiberless)
* Light neither generates magnetic fields nor is affected by them

We can shine a beam of light on a photovoltaic panel to transmit electrical power but it's inefficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back