Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

E Plane Cross-Pol, E Plane Co-Pol, H Plane Cross-Pol ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sanders

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
e-plane cross polarization

I find some papers using "E Plane Cross-Pol, E Plane Co-Pol, H Plane Cross-Pol and H Plane Co-Pol " to represent radiation patterns or gain ? Then how to define them? what is the relationship between them and E field/H field ?

e cross h

Dear sanders,

This is something I'm quite familiar with...

Think of an AUT (e.g. patch antenna) in an anechoic chamber on a turn-table, and always remember:

E-plane of the AUT is its plane parallel to the direction of its current flow. With this in mind, this antenna's orientation is subsequently placed in parallel to the rotation of your turn-table. Now, all measurements will be in the E-plane.
To get H-plane, naturally, it is orthogonal to the E-plane.

E-plane Co-pol and E-plane Cross-pol is the AUT's E-plane Co- and Cross-polarisation patterns respectively (with respect to the orientation of your reference antenna and its corresponding current flow too). Co- and Cross-pols are again orthogonal to each other.

Gain patterns are supposed to be of the same shape as radiation patterns, hence, that's why some people uses this form of interpretation (i.e. when compared to the traditional E-theta or E-phi). And also, some people use E-co/H-co because it is much simpler to use on antennas that radiate in one-direction (e.g. patches)

Now, from above, its relationship to E- or H-fields is pretty straight-forward to visualise.

Hope this helps,
Dave

cross pol

Hi Dave,

How about the relation between E-co, E-cross with E-theta and E-phi?

Can I know the direction of current flow for microstrip patch antenna (simple square patch) ?

TQ!

co and cross plane

hello dave,

i would also like to know how to design the turntable (that you mentioned earlier) to take the radiation pattern? all bout the designing, the motor, the sofware used to interface it with the PC to take the pattern and so on.hope you can reply me ASAP. really need the info urgently. thank you in advance

regard
deena

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back