Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Plane Wave and Open Boundaries Cavity Resonance Problem

sn_london

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am simulating a sample mounted on a substrate (high-frequency time domain solver CST) and am trying to look at the resonances of the sample. However, I am having an issue with the Fabry Perot resonances produced from the modeled thickness of the substrate I am mounting my sample on.

I currently have a plane wave propagating through the substrate to the sample and have the boundary conditions set to open. I thought this would make the substrate's edge touching the plane wave act as a perfect absorber and have minimal reflections therefore effectively being as if the plane wave starts from inside the substrate. However, the width of the modeled substrate really affects the results, e.g., if I model it with 50um or 100um then the resonances change drastically.

Any idea what I am doing wrong?
--- Updated ---

This is my result, rz is just changing the thickness of the mount.

Picture1.png

In many simulators, boundary conditions set to "open" implies some given background material, e.g., air/vacuum. Therefore, I wouldn't expect it to work for your substrate without specifying this material.

It may also be the case that your simulation suffers from convergence issues, which are exacerbated when the mesh changes. I would rule these out first by increasing mesh density or applying more stringent convergence criteria.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back