Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

dual port ram with two clock synthesis problem ram_block creating latchs

Status
Not open for further replies.

anupam.mandlas

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello all,

i am trying to create a dual port ram in vhdl.
this dual port ram has 2 different clock 2 wr enable one for each port.and seperate data out bus.and sepearte rd and wr add.

while i am synthesizing it in quartusII then its creating no of latches .and not able to synthesis properly..

what should i do???

thanks
Anupam

Attachments

• dp_31.txt
    3.6 KB · Views: 49

what should i do???
Follow the rules for RAM inference in the Quartus software manual, or even simpler, use a VHDL dual port RAM template provided by the Quartus editor. I stopped analyzing your design, when I saw, that you implemented an asynchronous read operation. It's not supported by the FPGA RAM block, so it can't be synthesized.

Hello sir,
thanks for reply..i made this design sync.but still there are few problems..i dont want to infer the altera ram block.want to use registers.and i have to update the ram_block signal according to the two different clock.which is not possible..so is there any other solution?

or is it possible to make dual port ram using the single port ram?

i dont want to infer the altera ram block.want to use registers.and i have to update the ram_block signal according to the two different clock.which is not possible..
I fear, I don't understand your intentions any more.
You previously mentioned:
i am trying to create a dual port ram in vhdl
Which in my understanding implies using a FPGA internal RAM. If you want to model a dual port RAM with registers, you should tell. But I think, it's involving a rather complex synchronization between two clock domains. You may want to sketch the register logic on a paper to get an idea of the structure.

Thanks for the clarification. I would be easy when writing only from one side. But a true dual-port RAM requires special transistor level logic, that can't be synthesized with regular FPGA LEs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back