Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Does the VCO noise is reduced due to dividing ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RFCMOS

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
VCO noise and divider

Assume you have a VCO @10GHz with a certain amount of phase noise @X kHz. then you divide the signal coming from the VCO by 2 with a noiseless divider.
Is the noise @X kHz of your divided signal (@5GHz) is reduced due the division?

Re: VCO noise and divider

Yes. Multiplying and dividing the frequency also scales the noise level by the same amount.

VCO noise and divider

you can reference the theory about pll, and write the tran. function, you will get the anwser

Yes,of course.the phase noise is about 6dB smaller.

You can view it like this. Jitter is remaining same. As no noise is added and time period is doubled. So Phase noise is half. As same jitter for bigger period will translate to smaller noise

VCO noise and divider

Divider the signal will improve the phase noise, multiply will degrade it.

VCO noise and divider

I've ever wondered this question too.

THe key is that the transfer function of the divider is
1/N

Hi all,

Is it correct to say that by divided the VCO frequency by a N divider, the VCO phase noise a frequency offset N*f from the carrier will become the Phase noise of the signal after division at a frequency offset f (N*f/N) from the carrier?
Thanks for your explanations.

how large is N=40 in PLL?

hi all,

From the deansbook on pll I read that N-counter value is the parameter which has largest impact on the Phase noise of a pll. The smaller this value is better the phase noise should be, as N values multiplies the noise.

Now I am using N=40.. Can you pls tell me , how large is my N value. To what extent this value affects my phase noise?

Pls reply

Thanks & Regards
SavithRu

hanm said:
Yes,of course.the phase noise is about 6dB smaller.

yes ,you are right, but it is the case for dividing by 2.
jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back