Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Desing of starved current VCO - transistor's sizes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Florian90

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everyone,
I am trying to design a starved current ring oscillator based with CMOS 0.35u having to emit 100MHz. I dont have much power limitation (meaning i can go up to several hundreds of uA) but I am using this oscillator as a part of a temperature and process independent design.
I have looked a lot of paper and publications about this subject and none of them explain their choice of W/L of both the inverters and currents mirrors. Also i have seen different types: mirror's W/L > inverters, inverters W/L > mirrors or even equal. I have the impression that everyone does it on an empiric way just by testing and do not actually explain why.
So I am asking, is there a rule about this design? What kind of values i need? it should probablly be related with 2 factors:
1- Parasit Capacity of the inverter
2- Current limitations

Thanks in advance

You should go for gm/Id methology to determine the optimum W/L ratio of each transistor. It also give a vivid picture to the region of transistors. So go for it....
Hello everyone,
I am trying to design a starved current ring oscillator based with CMOS 0.35u having to emit 100MHz. I dont have much power limitation (meaning i can go up to several hundreds of uA) but I am using this oscillator as a part of a temperature and process independent design.
I have looked a lot of paper and publications about this subject and none of them explain their choice of W/L of both the inverters and currents mirrors. Also i have seen different types: mirror's W/L > inverters, inverters W/L > mirrors or even equal. I have the impression that everyone does it on an empiric way just by testing and do not actually explain why.
So I am asking, is there a rule about this design? What kind of values i need? it should probablly be related with 2 factors:
1- Parasit Capacity of the inverter
2- Current limitations

Thanks in advance

You should go for gm/Id methology to determine the optimum W/L ratio of each transistor. It also give a vivid picture to the region of transistors. So go for it....

Hello,
Thanks for answering. Could you explain me a bit more this gm/ID methology please? I am new to CMOS techonology. Or if not could u point me out at some documets which explain/have an example of this methology?
Thanks

Hello,
Thanks for answering. Could you explain me a bit more this gm/ID methology please? I am new to CMOS techonology. Or if not could u point me out at some documets which explain/have an example of this methology?
Thanks
use these papers

- - - Updated - - -

use these papers

you can also use a book named tradeoffs and optimization in analog cmos design by David Binkley

Attachments

• 00597291.pdf
    260.5 KB · Views: 149
  • 04633562.pdf
    991 KB · Views: 142
  • 06177335.pdf
    450.1 KB · Views: 142
  • 07058334.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 152
  • tradeoffs and optimization in analog cmos design by David Binkley.pdf
    9.3 MB · Views: 127
Thanks, I will check them out. But on a first look they all work with OTA amplifiers, I am using inverters for my VCO, will the gm/I method still apply the same for the inverters?

you just take the concepts to optimize your circuit transistor....
Thanks, I will check them out. But on a first look they all work with OTA amplifiers, I am using inverters for my VCO, will the gm/I method still apply the same for the inverters?

- - - Updated - - -

like if u design a circuit in saturation region than the on transistors should be in saturation and off ones should be in cut off.and this gm/id plot give a vivid picture of a transistor region and related w/l ratio...
you just take the concepts to optimize your circuit transistor....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back