Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Designing a constant power circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

asp87

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I'm trying to design a circuit that can provide constant power from 6mW to 400mW.

The output of multiplier is V=I*R_sense*I*R_load/k
= P*R_sense/k

The problem lies in the range of setpoint required at low and high power.
Ex:
1. Required P= 6mW, R_sense= 20 Ω. If k= 0.75V, setpoint = 0.16 V.
2. Required P= 400mW, R_sense= 20 Ω. If k= 0.75V, setpoint = 10.67 V.

I feel the setpoint input to the opamp in ex. 1 is too low and we are operating near the noise level in the circuit.
In Ex. 2, the setpoint input is high, close to the maximum output voltage swing of any multiplier IC available.

Fiddling around with k will either increase or decrease either setpoints equally.

P.S.: I've drawn the inverting and non-inverting inputs of opamp incorrectly.

Last edited:

You may have to use more than one value of R_sense and select it with a switch to give an adequate dynamic range.

What's wrong with having a setpoint of 0.16V? Many op-amps have an offset voltage of less than 1mV; with this offset, you can still achieve better than 1% accuracy at 6mW. It's simply a matter of ensuring your op-amp's inputs and the multiplier's ouput include 0V.

If that still doesn't work for you, you might consider using a divider. The input signal (power) can be divided by the measured output current (P/I produces voltage), and this signal can then be fed to the op-amp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back