Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Opamp unstable while designing BGR

Chinmaye

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am trying to design a BGR for which I have designed an op-amp. When I run stb analysis, I find that the loop is unstable. This may be due to the presence of both positive and negative feedback. How can this be rectified?

For stability the negative feedback factor must dominate.
By the way - what is the meaning of "BGR"?

BGR = band gap reference, like below circuit

1704385662231.png

Possible problems:
Wrong bias point in stb gain analysis
OP compensation actually inappropriate

In a BGR, there is going to be 2 loops.
The Positive Feedback Loop,
The Negative Feedback Loop.

When you run the stb analysis, ensure that you are breaking the right loop. (ie. inserting the voltage source at the right loop)
Also, at the steady state operating point, your positive feedback loop should have gain <1.

Now the negative feedback loop, can be unstable as you are observing. Stabilize it by using the standard compensation methods. (Miller/Dominant pole, etc)

In a BGR, there is going to be 2 loops.
The Positive Feedback Loop,
The Negative Feedback Loop.

When you run the stb analysis, ensure that you are breaking the right loop. (ie. inserting the voltage source at the right loop)
Also, at the steady state operating point, your positive feedback loop should have gain <1.

Now the negative feedback loop, can be unstable as you are observing. Stabilize it by using the standard compensation methods. (Miller/Dominant pole, etc)
Unfortunately, we do not know how the circuit looks like and how stability analysis was performed (one possible realization wa shown in post #3).
More than that, no parts values are given. This would be essential for analyzing stability.

Last edited:

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu: