Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Design Constraints, where to start?

Status
Not open for further replies.

keyboardcowboy

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
How does one go about applying design constraints. I am done with design and testing, now I would like to apply constraints with no particular limit just have to find the best operating frequency combined with power and area. How should I start?

You have to know the frequency at which your design should work at. Once you know that you have to specify the clock frequency as a constraint. Apart from that you can specify the false path constraints. You can then specify the input/output delay constraints. You can find more info from the design guide about the constraint syntax.

Is it possible to find the maximum frequency a design can operate at after making it?

If you can determine the exact delays of all the combinational elements in the worst path of the design along with the clk->Q delay of the launch flop and the setup time of the capture flop then you can determine the max frequency. Else synthesize with a random frequency and see the results and then adjust your constraints accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back