Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Design big delay element

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomph

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
In my circuit I needs 3us delay element . It is too big if using Resistor and Capacitors would you please help me to suggest any possible ways to design that long (3us) delay. Thank you very much.
Tom

signal ->ADC->digital FIFO delay->DAC

You'll need big FIFO RAM depending on your signal's bandwidth.

if u use R and C, the High Freq will be cut off.

You can use curent to generate a small current source and chagre a mos to make the large delay time.

tomph

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
to hyy95120: thanks for your comments
hyy95120 said:
signal ->ADC->digital FIFO delay->DAC

You'll need big FIFO RAM depending on your signal's bandwidth.

if u use R and C, the High Freq will be cut off.
Actually, I 'm not good at FIFO.

To amrk_nctu:

mark_nctu said:
You can use curent to generate a small current source and chagre a mos to make the large delay time.
Could you please be more specific. I 'm interested in your method.
Thanks,
Tom

mark_nctu said:

Agree, current source+capacitor is a simple way.

doesn't current source+cap act the same like RC? the bandwidth is severely limited, high frequency will be cut off.

let's say, u want to delay with small current, which translate to longer charge time for the cap, which translate to poor high frequency response.

if you have signal bandwidth much larger than the 3us(330KHz) delay, the only Analog way I can think of doing this is using a "Sample and Hold" Pipeline with switch capacitor technology. for each clock cycle, you "Sample" an input signal and "Pass" it to the next stage, exactly the same way as Digital FIFO, except that you don't need to do the A/D converting.

hyy95120 said:
doesn't current source+cap act the same like RC? the bandwidth is severely limited, high frequency will be cut off.

let's say, u want to delay with small current, which translate to longer charge time for the cap, which translate to poor high frequency response.

if you have signal bandwidth much larger than the 3us(330KHz) delay, the only Analog way I can think of doing this is using a "Sample and Hold" Pipeline with switch capacitor technology. for each clock cycle, you "Sample" an input signal and "Pass" it to the next stage, exactly the same way as Digital FIFO, except that you don't need to do the A/D converting.

You are right. RC,IC are only for delay edge.
If delay a small signal, it will be complex.

If you are dealing with digital signal, then use counter (could be complicated). If it's small signal I don't think there is anyway you can achieve that (The delay is simply too big)

i have the same requirement
i want to make a power up circuit , no exteral resistor and capacitor is allowed ,but ,it need a delay that is large than 120us
i think switch capacitor and mirror current and meet the implement

Please describe the function you need more completely.

As you can see from the suggestions there are many kinds of "delays".

I'll guess.

Low precision solution: Since you mentioned a RC element. I think you want a edge triggered delay. Use a one-shot timer (aka Monostable Multivibrator, i.g. MM74HC4538). 3us delay is easily handled by this device.

Higher precision solution:
If you need a precise edge triggered delay, use a crystal oscillator (you may already have one in the design), use a loadable down counter to count down the 3 us time.

Like many things, the answer can be no better than the question. Tell us what you're wanting to do.

rf_ray said:
If you are dealing with digital signal, then use counter (could be complicated). If it's small signal I don't think there is anyway you can achieve that (The delay is simply too big)

by theroy: I think AD+digital delay (Z^-1)+DA can achieve small signal delay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back