Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DDR SDRAM 64Mx16 availability?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnG300c

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm doing a design where I need to hook up four 64Mx16 SDRAMs to an Arria GX. DDR ICs will be fast enough and I would prefer to not go to DDR2 due to (perceived) increased complexity. So far, I have experience with SDR so I think the learning curve and complexity would be lower/less with SDR.

Are DDR ICs EOL or are they safe to use in new designs?

This is an example of a DDR IC
**broken link removed**

I have read some information on the Internet that seem to indicate that DDR ICs are actually more costly than DDR2. Also, my next design might need DDR2. DDR2 also contain On Chip Termination. But, DDR2 is more complex to implement?

Any opinions on whether to choose DDR or DDR2? I'm targeting a 200 MHz clock.

Thanks.

It turns out that there is no 1 Gbit DDR SDRAM except in 'Mobile' (very expensive) version. The largest standard DDR SDRAM is 512 Mbit.

This forces me to go with DDR2. Not all bad because it is cheaper and will work for future, higher bandwidth projects.

I now have lots of material to study to bridge the complexity jump from SDR to DDR2 :|

JohnG300c said:
It turns out that there is no 1 Gbit DDR SDRAM except in 'Mobile' (very expensive) version. The largest standard DDR SDRAM is 512 Mbit.

This forces me to go with DDR2. Not all bad because it is cheaper and will work for future, higher bandwidth projects.

I now have lots of material to study to bridge the complexity jump from SDR to DDR2 :|

Hi,
I am using DDR2 SDRAM of hynix 8 modules each of 1 giga bit in 64mX16 configuration, but i don't have the application note for it or any other document, moreover there is lots of issues like routing, termination which is not in the datasheet,
please do share documents/ links and your valuable feedback.

JohnG300c said:
I'm doing a design where I need to hook up four 64Mx16 SDRAMs to an Arria GX. DDR ICs will be fast enough and I would prefer to not go to DDR2 due to (perceived) increased complexity. So far, I have experience with SDR so I think the learning curve and complexity would be lower/less with SDR.

Are DDR ICs EOL or are they safe to use in new designs?

This is an example of a DDR IC
**broken link removed**

I have read some information on the Internet that seem to indicate that DDR ICs are actually more costly than DDR2. Also, my next design might need DDR2. DDR2 also contain On Chip Termination. But, DDR2 is more complex to implement?

Any opinions on whether to choose DDR or DDR2? I'm targeting a 200 MHz clock.

Thanks.

There are still lots of DDR you can buy so just go ahead & design using a DDR with no worries. the price difference is small but its STILL cheaper. maybe you can't buy samsung chips because they only manufacture high end chips, now maybe their on DDR3 and on the phase of removing DDR2 but there are still lots of brand to choose from namely MICRON, HYNIX, PROMOS & MOSEL VITELIC. hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back