Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DC DC 5A constant current schematics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Integer

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi!

I'm planing to build smart battery charger, I've come up to idea to use switching regulators with current regulation instead linear regulators.
But I don't have the schematics of such converter, for example schematics of some converter like is this one would be great, because I don't need more than 5A because mostly I'm planing to charge small motorcycle batteries:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-5A-0-8V...804?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a2423ce64

And other thing is that all components need to be trough hole!

Thanks!

You should be able to use one of those very devices and I doubt you could build one cheaper.

Set the output voltage to say 7.2V for a 6V battery and 14V for a 12V battery and limit the current as appropriate. The battery data sheet will tell you optimal values to use. The only modification needed is to add a diode (1N4001 should do) between the PCB input and output connections wired cathode to the input. When driving LEDs and switching it off, there is no voltage at it's output point but with a battery the output will still be present when the input power is switched off, the diode will prevent damage from reversed polarity.

Brian.

Hi!

Thing is that I want all the components on one board, I know that is cheaper to buy full product but, building it all from the ground up should be much more fun. Also this battery charger will be controlled using microcontroleer, and there will be small lcd screen showing current voltage and current, and also it's going to have desulfation circuit so that I can recover some old batteries, i figure out how to do everything execept this main part which is DC DC regulator.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.