Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DC DC buck converter

Rajinder1268

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,
I am using AP63205 DCDC buck converter to generate 5V from a 12V input.
I measured 12V input and the output is 4.96V at the output under no load.
I have a 5R load ( wire wound resistor 5R 50W).
When I connect this why am I only seeing 450mA drawn from the output (I am measuring this with a meter in series). The output drops to 4.90V under load.

Should I not get I = V/R = 4.9V / 5R = 0.98A.

I have measured the resistance of the 5R and this is 5.2R. So with even this slight discrepancy I should be getting close to 900mA not half that value?

I have attached the data sheet. My circuit is as on page 9 of the datasheet (typical application at 5V).

Note I have tried using a different meter to measure the current but it is still the same.

Any suggestions?
--- Updated ---

Hi all,
Please disregard this post. I have sorted it out. Sorry.

Attachments

• AP63200-AP63201-AP63203-AP63205.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 58
Last edited:
I have a 5R load ( wire wound resistor 5R 50W).
When I connect this why am I only seeing 450mA drawn from the output (I am measuring this with a meter in series). The output drops to 4.90V under load.

I guess you're using your meter on the 1 or 10 or 20A current range?
It has its own resistance built into the measuring circuit. Probably in the vicinity of 1 ohm. It's included in the loop and causes an automatic drop in measured Amperes.

An alternate method of measuring current is to measure voltage across a known resistor whose value is a fraction of an ohm. You can assemble it from a few 1 ohm resistors in parallel.

Your load dissipates 4.5W (5V x .9A). That's enough to make it hot after several seconds.

Did you attach various test loads? Did you get expected voltage measurements?

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu: