Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cannot download code using JTAG interface in iMPACT

Status
Not open for further replies.

SphinX

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
iMPACT

Salam,

When i use iMPACT to download my code (top.bit) using JTAG interface, it says top.msk doesn't exist and stop the programming procedure ?

What is the *.msk file ?

I have synthesized and implement the design correctly.

Thanks

iMPACT

Beats me. Maybe you have readback enabled or something.

The iMPACT manual says:
MASK File: The mask (.msk) file indicates which bits are configuration bits and which ones are not. This file is needed to do a verify operation on a Virtex family device using the MultiLINX Cable. This file is generated during the implementation process (BitGen) if readback is enabled in the "Configuration Template".

The bitgen manual says:
msk: A binary file that contains the same configuration commands as a .bit file, but has mask data where the configuration data is. This data should NOT be used to configure the device. If a mask bit is 0, that bit should be verified against the bit stream data. If a mask bit is 1, that bit should not be verified. Produced when the -m option is specified.

The Development System Reference Guide says:
msk: File used to compare relevant bit locations when reading back configuration data contained in an operating Xilinx device.

SphinX

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
iMPACT

Salam great echo47,

The problem is solved when i unchecked the "Verify" option in the Program Option pop-up menu.

I have successfuly synthesised and program my first design :) :)

But i have noticed thing i don't know is it normal or not ?

In some times, when i enable the verify option it state that the programming is unsuccessfuly but it's not, the code works fine.

Why ?

Thanks for your help,
I will press "Helped me" for you :)

Bye

iMPACT

Thanks, I'm glad I could help!

Now for those occasional errors ... maybe check your JTAG signal quality with an oscilloscope. I had some trouble with poor quality digital signals in the small cable between the Parallel Cable IV unit and my FPGA board. I added some termination resistors and a better ground, and the problem disappeared.

Re: iMPACT

As far as I know, you cannot verify in serial modes, is that true?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back