Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

CANbus Message detect fpga

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnyz86

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
vhdl canbus

Hello,

I am interested in using a fpga to detect various kinds of CANbus messages. Right now I am starting with just detecting the message with all the signals decoded into 0's and 1's. Should I write it in VHDL? I have access to Synplicity DSP, which can use SIMULINK in matlab.

I am not all that experienced with this stuff, but my first instinct was a state machine. Then I've thought about just a large register to compare with the incoming data.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

canbus verilog

You can include a CAN-controller in the fpga. www.opencores.com.
It uses a processor bus for interfacing, but it is possible to change it to your own needs.

Remeber using CAN-bus, you need to contact BOSH for license issues.

thank you for the link, seems like an awesome site.

I am hoping for compatability with J1939, but the frame formats i've seen often don't include the SRR and IDE in the CAN2.0b extended frame. Which is it?

Sorry for my late reply.

The core on the opencore site is compatible with the SJA1000 controller.

But like I said, you can change the bus interface, and the register assignment if you you have some Verilog experience.

Stefaan

Status
Not open for further replies.