Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can you detect more than 2 signal edges in sensitivity list?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sree205

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
verilog question

Hi,
in the sensitivity list, is it possible to detect more than 2 signal edges ? say, if i want to have a 3 signal sensitivity list, such as posedge of a,b, and c, would it be possible?

Re: verilog question

sree205 said:
Hi,
in the sensitivity list, is it possible to detect more than 2 signal edges ? say, if i want to have a 3 signal sensitivity list, such as posedge of a,b, and c, would it be possible?
You can do it in Verilog but not in Hardware - meaning you can't synthesize it. What are you trying to model?

Ajeetha, CVC

3 signal sensitivity lists are possible.. They are synthesizable in many cases.. eg. a clock, a reset and a start willl be or ed together and given the appropriate pin of a d ff.

sree205 said:
Hi,

Can u pls say the requirement of checking exactly the edges.

verilog question

Hi,

Mostly this coding prctice is used in verification only.
We can do this thing in verilog but it is not synthesizable.

Thanks

Typically, when you attempt detect 2 edges, the expected result is a flip-flop. With one signal to the clock and the other to the reset pin of the flip-flop. Thus, I think that if you want to detect 3 edges, it should be synthesizable under the condition that, you have a flip-flop with asynchronous reset and asynchronous set.

i.e.
always @(posedge reset or posedge set or posedge clk) begin
if (reset)
A <= 0;
else if (set)
A <= 1;
else
A<=data_in;
end

Can be synthsis, be a D-Flipflop with Async set and clr. but should notice that mix posedge and negedge may lead to the result what you didn't want.

verilog question

i tried to come up with a synthesizable code which does this, but quartus rejected it, whereas ncverilog or verilog-xl had no problems. hence the query.

i'm hoping someone would prove that this is the case with other synthesizers too.

It is possible to sense 3 edges in the sensitivity edges in the sentivity list.
Eg :

always@(posedge clk or posedge reset or posedge set)

I used Leanordo Spectrum Synthesizer to sythesize a i was able to synthsize as i wanted.

If you use like this, it is synthesizeable :

always @(a or b or)

note : you have to define every inputs in the sensitivity list

oops. sees you're writing combinational circuit. Be cautious in level sensitive blocks.

it a bad design style,

you can use synchdronous design to replace this style.

best regards

sree205 said:
Hi,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back