Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Buffer for VCO at 2GHz

Status
Not open for further replies.

moisiad

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi

I have designed an integrated VCO, operating at 1.5GHz with 1.2V. The VCO is capable of driving a capacitive load (up to 500f) and not a low resistance value (e.g 50 Ohm), since it is fabricated to drive the gates of a MOS mixer. The problem is that i want to measure it as a standalone circuit with a network analyser, which has one 50 Ohm port. Do you know any commercial buffer that can help to perform such a measurement. In fact the buffer should be suitable to operate up to 2GHz, has a high input resistance (>10KOhm) and adequately drive 50Ohm in the output.

Thanks

You cannot measure a VCO with a network analyzer. You can test the spectrum with a spectrum analyzer.

In case you are interested in the phase noise at the fundamental you might consider sniffing the signal with a self made probe: A coax-line and a pigtail at the end connecting ground and signal conductor does the trick. Fix it mechanically around the oscillator and I'm sure you will pick up something big enough to measure the phase noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back