Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Boost LED driver output current problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpou

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hey all,

I am trying to debug my boost LED driver and would appreciate any help. It is based on MIC2287 and is using reference schematic provided in the datasheet.

This converter is operating with feedback voltage of 90mV. My current sense resistor is 0.39Ω. This should give me output of 230mA. I am using 22µH inductor with 1A current rating.

My problem is that if I connect LED load with Vf=12V it works perfectly and I measure 93mV over the feedback resistor. If I connect LED load with Vf=22V, my output current drops and voltage over current sense resistor is only ~30mV. Unfortunately, I don't have access to scope, so I can't see the duty ratio or other parameters of driver switch.

My converter is powered by 5V PSU.There are 3 ceramic output caps (1 + 1 + 4.7 µF, 50V) and 2 (10+4.7µF) input caps. OVP is removed.

Any help would be highly appreciated!

one possibility is if the inductor saturation current is 1A for me this design looks on the edge.....
for example for 22V,.23A the output power is 5.06W, and for which the IC internal switch will try to draw 1A current from 5V to achieve the same(power 5.06W or above considering the losses)....
also the inductor value may not be good enough to store enough charge and deliver to the output capacitors....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back