Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

beginner: programmable counter designed by CPLD/FPGA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunyixiang

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I need to design 8 independent programmable counters by using CPLD or FPGA on a VMEbus slave. The clock frequency to these counters is 160 MHz and their N counts are programmable between 4000 to 5300. The outputs of 8 channels should be square waves with 30 - 40 kHz.

I want to design these counters by using CPLD or FPGA, is it resonable? Or you have a better idea?

If I can or have to use CPLD or FPGA, which one is better? What device do I choose? What development kit do I choose?

I am a beginner and don't know how and where I begin this project. Thanks a lot.

if u have FPGA, of course go with FPGA since can hold more gates etc
i think any FPGA development kit will do right? for me, my col only provides altera up2 boards
u need to use HDL codes to do or only with logic gates?

I use various Xilinx FPGAs, so I recommend the inexpensive Spartan-3 FPGA. Even the smallest one has over 1500 flip-flops, plenty to build a few programmable counters. 160 MHz is fine.

You can buy the Spartan 3 Starter Kit from either Xilinx or Digilent. Digilent offers kits with different-size FPGAs, but I think you have to download the development software from Xilinx (it's free but huge). The Xilinx kit includes CD-ROMs.
**broken link removed**
http://www.digilentinc.com/info/S3Board.cfm

If you have never used FPGAs, beware of a steep learning curve. You will want to learn Verilog or VHDL, because it's a lot easier than schematic entry.

If your project can wait a little while, also consider the new Spartan-3E. Several nice improvements including new simpler configuration methods.

I don't know anything about VMEbus, but beware that most modern FPGAs don't interface directly to 5V logic.

Status
Not open for further replies.