Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Beginer to Programmable Logic Chips

Status
Not open for further replies.

marifhossain

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to reduce number of logic chips in my design. So I found that PAL, GALs, FPGAs can help.

I need some good documentations to start and understand the differences of PAL, GAL, FPGA etc.

I am a C programmer. Can I program GALs, PALs & FPGAs with C?

If I can (with C) is there any software preferably free or demo to start?

If I need to learn VHDL some good documentations are adviceded and also some VHDL interpreter or compiler (may be)?

I have a universal programmer which has the capability to program Programable logics.

For documentation on PAL, GAL, FPGAs Google them. Good documentation is also available at www.altera.com.
They can be programmed with SystemC. Some Tools using C are still in research.
Free demo versions using VHDL/Verilog is available from ModelSim (starter edition) & ActiveHDL.
A good Documentation for VHDL is available at
**broken link removed**

PALs and GALs are getting old. Go with FPGA if you can.

C isn't a parallel processing language. There are some exotic C-to-FPGA tools, but you'd be better off with VHDL or Verilog.

I like Xilinx FPGAs. You can download their free ISE WebPACK develoment tools. It supports their smaller FPGAs.
**broken link removed**

just read some portion of it...very good on fpga architecture....

a sample chapter 3 from

Code:
FPGA-Based System Design
Wayne Wolf, Princeton University
ISBN: 0-13-142461-0
Publisher: Prentice Hall PTR
Copyright: 2004
Format: Cloth Bound w/CD-ROM; 576 pp
Published: 06/15/2004

**broken link removed**

Code:
Architectures of FPGAs.
SRAM-based FPGAs.
Antifuse-programmed FPGAs.
Programmable I/O pins.
FPGA circuits: logic and interconnect.

hav a look... u dont wanna miss it....

regards,
sp

i 'm afraid u should know verilog HDL or VHDL. it's used widely and proved the best way so far . system C and Handle C is a new way and the relative software tools can't work properly so far.

I dont think a C programmer can easy to learn VHDL(RTL) programming,
for RTL, it's mention about HW implement ( loic design(DFF,Latch,MUX, FIFO, RAM, ROM))...
maybe a good firmware programming is easy to learn VHDL, but for C programming
I suggest you read login Design Principle/Computer Architecture first, the key point is not how to use GALs, PALs & FPGAs, the key point is the Concept of Computer Architecture/Logic Design Principle!

Status
Not open for further replies.