Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

About Lacthup remedies

Status
Not open for further replies.

nagamlan

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
How guard rings actually reduces lacthup???? Thanks in advance....

A guard ring is a ring (or very nearly so) surrounding a sensitive part of a circuit and connected to earth or a low impedance voltage which is at the same potential as the sensitive bit. It is so leakage currents through the air or across the printed circuit board flow into the guard ring and not into the sensitive circuit. Only really used with voltages in excess of 500V or impedances greater then 100 M ohm.
Now, how they effect latch up is a mystery, though its good to keep leakage paths under control. There are many sort of latch ups, I suppose you mean semiconductor devices when driven with too many volts, suffer an avalanche breakdown, which if the current is limited is non-catastrophic, i.e. when the voltage is removed the device recovers. Hence the requirement to control your high voltage leakage paths with guard rings.
Frank

Hi Frank its Amlan. Thank u 4 ur kind suggestions. But I am looking 4 the case, where in a CMOS substrate some current flows though the body due to the formation of 2 virtual BJTs.

Correct guard ring will reduce the base resistance of 2 parasite BJTs. If the current gain in the loop will be less than 1, there will be no latch-up.

yes dat's r8...but how it reduces base resistance actually???

Latch up will prevent the lateral entry of minority carriers by forming a reverse biased pn jun.

Guard ring provides lower resistance because its doping is heavier than well resistance without guard ring.
And more contacts in guard ring also reduce contact resistance.
yes dat's r8...but how it reduces base resistance actually???

Status
Not open for further replies.