Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

question about heavy load amplifier compensation structure

Leo@27

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm wondering if there exists a way other than the traditional Miller compensation to compensate a classAB output stage opamp.

I ask this because when driving a large capacitive load, the capacitance used for compensation also increases and is very difficult to integrate it on chip. I need the classAB to provide rail-to-rail output range, and the gain of the second stage op-amp is sufficient for my design, but the capacitive load requirement makes traditional on-chip compensation unusable.

Here's my question: what frequency compensation
architecture is typically used when driving an 100s nF- or even uF-rated capacitor? Is it possible that a 3-stage op amp is more viable in this case, as opposed to a 2-stage op amp? Could anyone answer my question please?

Why can't you make your output (load) pole the dominant pole? I.e. do a Dominant pole compensation
Hi nitishn5,

thanks for your answer.

Because I also need the rail-to-rail output range, i don't think amplifier's wide output range could coexist with high dc gain.

Can you include current feedback?
--- Updated ---

2nd stage compensastion
Hi Stewart,

No I can't, When using a current buffer, the size of the compensation capacitor is proportional to the root of the load capacitance . This structure is also clearly impractical when driving 10nFs capacitors. Because you may need hundreds of pF compensation capacitor.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu: