Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A question regarding power supplies

Status
Not open for further replies.

daniel_28

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys; to cut a long story short I want to use the power supply from my old xbox to power a computer. Basically the xbox power supply has the right wires except for -5V and -12V which are needed to power the computer. So my question is, is there anything I can do about this? Something with the existing 3.3, 5, 12V and Ground wires maybe?

I apologise for my lack of knowledge here, I never learned electronics at school and I'm just starting now. I hope I provided enough information, if not I'll post some diagrams of what I'm talking about tomorrow. Cheers:D

Nothing can be done.
whats xbox? whats the o/p power rating of that?
can confirm it if you can find out that.

Ah okay I thought that might be the case; I'm not sure exactly what you mean but I'll just post all the stuff the power supply has;

Max output power: 96W (though I think it's supposed to be a 200W power supply, dunno whether that's a contradiction.)

AC Input: 220-240V

DC Output: +5V, 13.2A;
+3.3V, 4.8A;
+12V, 1.2A;
+3.3VSB, 0.045A

If your PC is fitted with atleast up to three IDE devices (Hard drives and optical drives) along and a standard AGP card,along with a couple of standard cooling fans in the cabinet, a true 250-300 Watts SMPS is needed.
is 96watts too less to go with??
and moreover you need to mess up in generating negative supplies out of that too.

It is not worth working on xbox powersupply. The computersmpsr available so cheap that if u try to modify it will be more expensive. Further is is more complicated to get - V from +v. So better buy a new or old computer smps. The old SMPS will be extremely cheap & just check the watts, working condition.

it seems not possible.

Modern desktop motherboards doesn't require the -5V connection to be in the PS. Modern PS doesn't have this connection at all (it's usually a white color that has number 20 for the 24-pin PS).

However, the -12 V is still required! A minimum of 300W are needed for most mother motherboards to boot.

All in all, i don't see how your xbox PS will operate a PC motherboard.

Why bother man!, PS's are very very cheap today!

daniel_28 said:
Hi guys; to cut a long story short I want to use the power supply from my old xbox to power a computer. Basically the xbox power supply has the right wires except for -5V and -12V which are needed to power the computer. So my question is, is there anything I can do about this? Something with the existing 3.3, 5, 12V and Ground wires maybe?

I apologise for my lack of knowledge here, I never learned electronics at school and I'm just starting now. I hope I provided enough information, if not I'll post some diagrams of what I'm talking about tomorrow. Cheers:D

It would be faster, cheaper, and more knowledgeable to go buy one for $15 bucks or less....

IMPOSSIBLE .... I think u have to design some sort of pcb to generate the reqd supplies, but if u ask me return on investment for that i would say nothing. So better buy a new one man, they are very cheap these days

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back