Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

32 bit barrel shifter verilog code

Status
Not open for further replies.
What help do you need , in algorithm or in the RTL coding ?

RTL coding.. or any other efficient 32bit shifter to perform left and right shifting ???

RTL coding.. or any other efficient 32bit shifter to perform left and right shifting ???

Hi Santosh ,

What is your target platform , FPGA , ASIC or just Verilog Simulation .

Do you have timing constraints that you have to do this in one clock cycle .

Barrel Shiftier is a combinational circuit which produces a shifted version of the input according to the shift code , and for 32 bit it will be a pretty big one which will restrict your maximum operational frequency because of Setup time requirements, of course you can pipeline it . See this link ftp://ftp.cs.uregina.ca/pub/class/301/guili/BarrelShPipeline.html

If you just want the shift operation to be done you can use verilog shift operator >> and << , but this method can take upto 32 cycles if done unintelligently and in 5 cycles if done in a binary search way (SAR algorithm)

Gaurav

Thanks Gaurav ! that really helped !
I just need a verilog simulation.. i need efficient shifting (right and left) for 32 bits .. Can you give me the code for that ? using binary search ?? We are basically designing high performance 32 bit ALU .. done with multiplier,adder and logic modules.. Confused with shifting.. Please help me out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back