Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

2D DCT compression with FPGA question

Status
Not open for further replies.

InverseUniverse

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hey guys

I am working on implementing the algorithm of 2D DCT on Nexy2 from Digilent, which is based on Xilinx Spartan 3E. My main concern is data precision and its implications on the memory.

The board has 16MB SDRAM (which I am planning to use for this calculation) and 16MB Flash Memory (which i'm only planning to use to fetch constant data).

I am planning to use MATLAB to establish a serial connection and send the pixel data of greyscale pictures. Normally, MATLAB would provide them with an 8-Bit precision (0-255), however, I am not convinced of using the same resolution for my calculations on the FPGA. I am looking at allowing room for more calculation precision by representing everything at 12-Bits as it is the good balance between memory usage and resolution.

I really need your ideas, what do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.