Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

24 hrs. clock clock cycle in a 555 timer

Status
Not open for further replies.

rajaram04

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello sir
Tell me about the circuit diagram of 555 in a timer mode so as to make a high clock pulse of 6 hours & a low clock pulse of 18 hours.i want the circuit to be run repeatdly with these clock pulses only.
thanks

I'm assuming you want a decent amount of accuracy, so that it will remain synchronized with the earth's rotation (I'm assuming you want to turn a light on and off, or something similar?)

Unfortunately, while the 555 is fun, useful, and flexible, it's not very accurate. And even if it were, the components around it would limit its accuracy. It's typical to get resistors with 5% accuracy and capacitors with 20% accuracy. This means that it would only take 3 days for your timer to be wrong by half a day!

It's best to go with either:
a) If you have access to the power line, you can count the power line cycles (it's 60Hz in America, 50Hz elsewhere). The power company keeps a pretty stable frequency.
b) If you don't have access to the power line, you can use a 32kHz quartz crystal used in watches. Most microcontrollers have accommodations for crystal oscillators, and if you opt not to use a micro, it's not especially difficult to make a resonator for yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back