Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

powerplay analyzer help

Status
Not open for further replies.

ihjay

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi could it be possible that 4 bit carry save multiplier power consumption is larger than 8 bit using powerplay power analyzer?
i used gate level modeling for the codes. it happen that 4 bit has a power consumption of 133.28mW while 8 bit is 132.92mW is this possible?
thanks

hi could it be possible that 4 bit carry save multiplier power consumption is larger than 8 bit using powerplay power analyzer?
i used gate level modeling for the codes. it happen that 4 bit has a power consumption of 133.28mW while 8 bit is 132.92mW is this possible?
thanks
No, it shouldn't be.

You've probably run a testcase with the toggling of the signals on your gate level VCD dump that has nearly equivalent toggling of signals in the 4-bit and 8-bit cases. Your test isn't representative of the power for either design.

You probably want to run an exhaustive test on the 4-bit case (256 possible results of the multiply) and something less exhaustive for the 8-bit multiplier. Feed that into your powerplay analysis and you'll likely see significantly different results.

Don't ask me how to do all this, I haven't used Altera and powerplay for more than 5 years.

Regards

thank you very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back