Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ground plane and routing techniques in PCB Design for Voltage regulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pooshan1

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear All,

Need some help on PCB design with respect to he transformer , ground plane and routing . The PCB here is a two sided PCB with mains transformer (Primary 0 - 230 V AC , 3 secondaries 0-7v, 0-15V and 0-4V) mounted on the bottom side and the other components mounted on top side.

My quesion is, can we have he ground plan running beneath the transforemer ? Also should the tracks from the secondaries (0-5V, 0-7V, 0-15V) be placed on he bottom side or should be placed on the top side. My questions are from the perspective of EMI ?EMC reducions and what impact it will have based on the decisions on the ground plane and track routing for secondaries
Thank you in advanced for the same

Regards,
PM.

Hi,

Show your layout.
can we have he ground plan running beneath the transforemer ?
It depends on safety regulations of your country and on the application.
You need to ensure proper creepage distance and clearance.
--> thus I'd avoid it.

should the tracks from the secondaries (0-5V, 0-7V, 0-15V) be placed on he bottom side or should be placed on the top side.
EMI/EMC is high frequency. But from your text I can't see any high frequency.
--> generally Top/bottom is not that big problem regarding EMI/EMC ... but in detail it depends on the whole circuit.

Klaus

Hi,

Show your layout.

It depends on safety regulations of your country and on the application.
You need to ensure proper creepage distance and clearance.
--> thus I'd avoid it.

EMI/EMC is high frequency. But from your text I can't see any high frequency.
--> generally Top/bottom is not that big problem regarding EMI/EMC ... but in detail it depends on the whole circuit.

Klaus
The application is a signal conditioning from a PT100 sensor. So currently the ground plane is spread beneath the entire transformer. So Should I block the area below the transformer for the ground plane ?

The application is a signal conditioning from a PT100 sensor. So currently the ground plane is spread beneath the entire area of the transformer. So Should I block the area below the transformer for the ground plane or will it be better if the area is cleared of copper ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back