Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Some gain issues on gain-boosted opa

Status
Not open for further replies.

jktheone1987

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi
I’m designing an opamp with gain-boosted structure,but I encountered an problem.
C582A47A-357A-42FF-BE3B-8B6B35E8F225.jpeg

By some techniques,I made the CMFB ideal(using ideal Vcvs to sense output),so the Cmfb circuit will not affect the differential output impedance. By seriesing a large inductor, the bottom impedance of Z is larger than the upper branch, so I can investigate the upper branch.

But the question arises, when I enhance the gain of gain-boosted amplifier, the total differential gain enhanced,but to a upper limit no matter how much gain I put on gain boosted(all DC conditions and operating points satisfied ). I don’t know why, maybe some friends may help me, thank you.

Last edited:

How your CMFB can control the common mode DC output voltage, if Z is an inductor? In DC the output common mode voltage is 0V, you cannot control that I think. I don't understand how you set the operating points. I think you should use current generators instead of inductor, if the target is to eliminate the load resistance.

Last edited:

How your CMFB can control the common mode DC output voltage, if Z is an inductor? In DC the output common mode voltage is 0V, you cannot control that I think. I don't understand how you set the operating points. I think you should use current generators instead of inductor, if the target is to eliminate the load resistance.

I did not plot the detail Z which is a cascode NMOS structure using gain boosted structure just like the upper lanch. Z is an inductor seriesing the cascode structure.

Try with ideal current sources, easier. How you check the gain? How is it limited?
DC gain has to be limited I think, obviously becasue the inductor is shorted at lower frrequencies, the NMOS cascode will determine Rout, and at higher frequencies the parasitic capacitors limit the gain of the PMOS portion. Gain-boost is good to increase Rout, but if Rload is lower the gain can't increase, and the gain-bandwidth is limited by Gm and C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back