Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Understanding Accelerometer & Gyro Drifts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny101

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi Guys,

I have been trying to understand the accelerometers and gyroscopes and have a few questions:

- How does integration produce the offsets in the readings when trying to calculate the position?
- Is the drift in accelerometers going to be more as compared to a gyro as we will integrate the acceleration twice?
- How can the accelerometer give you absolute orientation in the up-down plane?
- How can sensor fusion of accelerometer and gyro reduce the drifts?
- Lastly, if anyone has worked with mpu6050 in dmp mode does it already have algorithms to cater for the drifts?

Plus I actually wan't to measure angles produced by the hand rotations.

Thanks in advance.

- How does integration produce the offsets in the readings when trying to calculate the position?
Integration is actually summing: x <= x + new_x. So if there's an error - it accumulates with each summation.
Is the drift in accelerometers going to be more as compared to a gyro as we will integrate the acceleration twice?
The sensors don't drift - they just give you a result which isn't 100% accurate. It's the nature of the mathematical operation that you do with that (not 100%) data that causes a "drift" in your calculations.
How can sensor fusion of accelerometer and gyro reduce the drifts?
Not an expert in the field - but I think sensor fusion algorithms use data from multiple sensors and in that way compensate for error.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back