Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

EMMC5.0 HS400 Memory controller phase tuning

Status
Not open for further replies.

faisal78

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi
I am interested to know the details and technicalities of a automated memory controller phase tuning. As the EMMC/DDR memory gains in speed, the timing constraints and Signal Integrity become more and more important and critical. I have got some information from JEDEC but the details are not clear on how memory controllers in a Application Processor "tunes" the DLL Tx and Rx phase to the ideal spots...

Here is what I understood, experts please do correct me...

1. Memory controller has 16 DLL phase tuning points for a particular IO Driver strength.
2. A fixed data pattern is used

Drive strength: DLL Phase <0..15>
where P = pass, F=fail

2mA : F,F,F,F,F,F,P,P,P,F,F,F,F,F,F,F
4mA : F,F,F,F,F,P,P,P,P,P,P,F,F,F,F,F
6mA : F,F,P,P,P,P,P,P,P,P,P,F,F,F,F,F
8mA : F,F,F,F,F,P,P,P,P,P,F,F,F,F,F,F
10mA : F,F,F,F,F,F,P,P,P,F,F,F,F,F,F,F

So the memory controller would start at a default drive strength of 2mA, write to the memory device a fixed test pattern, and somehow the memory device will compare to a internal pattern and reply...
this goes on from the 0..15 DLL phase delays.

Run the next IO driver streangth.

Eventually, a pass/fail array will be achieve and a center point will be used.

Is this correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back