Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Impedance Matching in ADS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hamidzia

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everybody,

I want to perform impedance matching in ADS.
As far as I understand, I just have to check the SMZ1 and SmZ2 value for the desired frequency and just place the same values with lumped components.
Like if I get SmZ1 as 32 - 57j and SmZ2 as 14-4j.

Then i just need to add 32 ohm resistor and a capacitor with 57j impedance at input. And similarly at out put 14 ohm resistor and a capacitor with 4j capacitance. But the things not seem to be working.

By changing these values i want the S21 to be near to max gain, but i am not getting it.

Can anyone support me how to use Smz1 and Smz2 for impedance matching. and making S21 equal to max Gain.

Thanks for your support.

Who has said the resistors are used for matching circuits ??
Read something about matching techniques in textbooks and then try to use ADS..

Hi Hamidzia,

That's fundamentally flawed. Please read up a lil' like what BigBoss suggested.

You would want to do a conjugate matching over at the input and output based on the i/p and o/p impedance you've simulated to get the maximum gain. Typically the effect of changing input after output matching isn't significant for a mosfet.

Natnoraa

Dear Friends,

Thanks for your responses. Let me rephrase my question. I want to do Impedance matching in ADS. Can any one help me how to do that using SmZ1 and SmZ2.

Also if someone can suggest/share some good literature regarding impedance matching, lumped components, txn lines, stubs etc.

I searched out and read a lot on net, but my gathered info is in bits and pieces rather than a comprehensive understanding to perform the task.

Thanks

Hi,

I do not personally know what does SmZ1 and SmZ2 give you but let me assume that they are the input impedance and output impedance values you're looking at, then:

use the smith chart tool to do the matching with the ideal inductors and capacitors(shunt or series) provided to match complete the matching circuit. Set Zs and Zl etc. You'll get the drift when you see the smith chart utility.

P.S: Have you tried this? **broken link removed**

Natnoraa

Status
Not open for further replies.