Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PCB design in Mils (Inch) or MM's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
though I'm a chinese engineer, I use mils,

because I feel mil unit is simple and convenient.

best regards

Ash488 said:
For design ¨mm¨ & for manufacturing ¨mils¨.

Regards.

I switched to mm a couple of years ago when over 50% of components on the board where Metric. On my newer boards 99% are metric so its a no brainer.

in details, we must use mils, for example for trace widths we can use 7 mils, its easy than call "0.1778 mm"

but in the component editing (decal editor) we can define the height and the width of the component by millimeters (ie. 3cm X 4 cm is easy than "1181 mils x 1574 mils)

For components I use whatever makes the most sense for the type of component I am working on. I use mils for everything else (Hard habit to break)

It's all down to gerber files, which are American.
PCB design is done in mils.
Min track 8 thou is easier to understand, than 0.something mm. It's also easier to layout on a 100 thou grid than it is on a 1mm grid.
Board dimensions in mm, design files in mils!

Decision to choose whether mils or mm is arbitrary; it's up to you. As for me, I use mils because most Ic's I use are specified in mils.

I use mil in all my designs, because Gerber and NC drill file are using the mil/inch.

It is always recommend to work on units as MILS in PCB board with 0 Decimals.

When to work in MM ?
if the Physical Symbol(Foot-Print) data sheet is give in mm only and dn’t exceed 2 decimals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back