Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transistor tester schematic IC

Status
Not open for further replies.
transistor tester schematics

Borber said:
I bought that issue. The article describes as title says transistor identifier. It can determine type of transistor PNP, NPN, NJFET, PJFET, NMOS and PMOS. IT allso indicates transistor pins EBC SGD and measures HFE, RDSON and cutoff voltage at fets. Instrument is build arround PIC16F872 it has 2x16 LCD. As I understand instrument is suitable to indicate type of transistor which has no label more than to perform more advanced measurements.

hi borber could you please scan it and share with us i will donate you some point

mwinstruments

nice one borber i down load the hex files from the french site which one do i use because there is hex 1 and hex 2

thanks

snaper

michel waleczek analyser

hi all
would it be possible for some one to translate this from french to eniglish . now i know most of you would say why need it you got pcb and schematic but i like to read to understand how it works so i would be greatfull is some one could translate it
i have tried but i dont understand 1 bit of french and most of the words come out unreadable

cheers

wizpic

how to identify transistor type

There are two hex files. HEX1 is used with 1x16 LCD and HEX2 with 2x16 LCD.

transistor checker schematic

wizpic said:
hi all
would it be possible for some one to translate this from french to eniglish . now i know most of you would say why need it you got pcb and schematic but i like to read to understand how it works so i would be greatfull is some one could translate it
i have tried but i dont understand 1 bit of french and most of the words come out unreadable

cheers

wizpic

i am doing translation for this

dca55 cheap

Hi Fragrance
Your the man this will be a job well done looking forward to this as we all have been waiting for a transistor tester nwo we all can understand how it works

wicked good job done

thanks

wizpic

how transistor tester work

did you look at the atlas DCA55 component analyzer ???

https://www.peakelec.co.uk/

it's £60, I bought one two years ago and I find it very nice and useful.

ok it's fun building electronics...

michael waleczek analyser

I would have to agree what snaper said earlier it takes the fun out of electronics by buying one. i have built the french trasnsistor tester up in isis and it works really well and i am impressed it looks like it is going to be a good little tool for workshop so now i am going to build it up in protel as i like that better the only troule is that it comes up with errever cal what ever that is in french

wizpic

elektor transistor tester shematic

hi Fragrance
how long do you rekon for the enlish version that u working on

cheers
wipzpic

kit testeur transistor

Well, the uploaded article did the trick. I had to order the PIC and ICs, which arrived today, and I got the tester built this evening. Like WizPic, I have problems with the French but a trip to Google's translation page and a lot of typing (and numerous typos) got me most of the information that I needed. So, here's an update on what I have found to this point.

First, I programmed and tried the 16X1 version. It displays the transistor type and pin-out but cuts off the last letter on the pin-out (but that may be related to the display that I am using). For example, it should display E-B-C (or whatever combination it detects for the leads). What it displays is E-B-. This in itself isn't a problem since it identifies two leads, the one not displayed is, in this case, logically the collector. It does not display the beta value.

I then programmed the 16X2 version and everything displayed as it should.

Getting started was a trial and error process (between what I could translate from the article and just playing with the tester on the bench). There is a jumper on the board marked ST1. The first time you start the tester, this jumper must be in place. The tester will display the verison number and then CALIBRATION will appear on the LCD. This calibration is for FET measurements, if my translation was correct. I'm not sure exactly how this calibration process is supposed to function but removing the jumper will blank the screen and then replacing it and removing it several times finally displays RES G-M and an ohmic value (Gate to Source resistance), then G-D and an ohmic value (Gate to Drain resistance), and finally M-D and an ohmic value (Source to Drain resistance). These values, I assume, are stored in memory since you only have to go through this process initially. At this point the jumper can be removed. On my board, I soldered two pins in place and am using a jumper between the two pins and just leave the jumper on one post when the calibration is completed. The tester will then display *-*-* on the LCD and you are ready to check your transistor.

Shortcomings:
1) The tester will not test germanium or darlington transistors, only silicon, mosfet and jfet.
2) It will not identify a transistor with an internal short. When I shorted out base to emitter, based to collector, and emitter to collector of an NPN transistor, the unit indicated that it was either a P-channel or N-channel JFET, depending on which pins were shorted. So, you can not necessarily rely on the tester alone to identify the type of an unmarked or unknown transistor. Of course, if it identifies an unknown transistor as a JFET, you can always use an ohm meter to check the transistor for an internal short - no short, it is a JFET or, if it shows a short, throw it away because you can't use it anyway!
3) Like other PIC based transistor testers, it can identify the gate of a JFET but not the drain or source.

It's not a bad project and I don't want to discourage anyone, but I think its inability to identify a shorted transistor limits its value as a "tester".

I'm looking forward to comments from those that also build this tester (and I'm going to keep looking for another version!) Thanks to all that have contributed to this topic and I hope what I've noted is of some value to others.

Mike

best transistor testers

MikeOhio said:
Well, the uploaded article did the trick. I had to order the PIC and ICs, which arrived today, and I got the tester built this evening. Like WizPic, I have problems with the French but a trip to Google's translation page and a lot of typing (and numerous typos) got me most of the information that I needed. So, here's an update on what I have found to this point.

First, I programmed and tried the 16X1 version. It displays the transistor type and pin-out but cuts off the last letter on the pin-out (but that may be related to the display that I am using). For example, it should display E-B-C (or whatever combination it detects for the leads). What it displays is E-B-. This in itself isn't a problem since it identifies two leads, the one not displayed is, in this case, logically the collector. It does not display the beta value.

I then programmed the 16X2 version and everything displayed as it should.

Getting started was a trial and error process (between what I could translate from the article and just playing with the tester on the bench). There is a jumper on the board marked ST1. The first time you start the tester, this jumper must be in place. The tester will display the verison number and then CALIBRATION will appear on the LCD. This calibration is for FET measurements, if my translation was correct. I'm not sure exactly how this calibration process is supposed to function but removing the jumper will blank the screen and then replacing it and removing it several times finally displays RES G-M and an ohmic value (Gate to Source resistance), then G-D and an ohmic value (Gate to Drain resistance), and finally M-D and an ohmic value (Source to Drain resistance). These values, I assume, are stored in memory since you only have to go through this process initially. At this point the jumper can be removed. On my board, I soldered two pins in place and am using a jumper between the two pins and just leave the jumper on one post when the calibration is completed. The tester will then display *-*-* on the LCD and you are ready to check your transistor.

Shortcomings:
1) The tester will not test germanium or darlington transistors, only silicon, mosfet and jfet.
2) It will not identify a transistor with an internal short. When I shorted out base to emitter, based to collector, and emitter to collector of an NPN transistor, the unit indicated that it was either a P-channel or N-channel JFET, depending on which pins were shorted. So, you can not necessarily rely on the tester alone to identify the type of an unmarked or unknown transistor. Of course, if it identifies an unknown transistor as a JFET, you can always use an ohm meter to check the transistor for an internal short - no short, it is a JFET or, if it shows a short, throw it away because you can't use it anyway!
3) Like other PIC based transistor testers, it can identify the gate of a JFET but not the drain or source.

It's not a bad project and I don't want to discourage anyone, but I think its inability to identify a shorted transistor limits its value as a "tester".

I'm looking forward to comments from those that also build this tester (and I'm going to keep looking for another version!) Thanks to all that have contributed to this topic and I hope what I've noted is of some value to others.

Mike

great job mike you did it in write way what i did which i could not get in right way first i made the pdf of all gif immage and then convert them into word file and use translation tools from universal translator pro

hope i will get it today try to post it

title transistor_tester circuit

Just an update to clarify the calibration procedure. First, rather than using a socket for the device under test, I used 3 clip leads. The correct calibration procedure is to put the jumper on ST1 and short the 3 leads together. Then turn the tester on. It will display thr version number, then "calibration". Remove the jumper from ST1 and the unit will display the calibrated values. It is then ready to test your transistors.

old transistor tester

Just an update to clarify the calibration procedure. First, rather than using a socket for the device under test, I used 3 clip leads. The correct calibration procedure is to put the jumper on ST1 and short the 3 leads together. Then turn the tester on. It will display thr version number, then "calibration". Remove the jumper from ST1 and the unit will display the calibrated values. It is then ready to test your transistors.

sca analyzer +16f876

Hi Fragrance
How is the translation coming a long you have gone quite

cheers
wizpic

dca55 schematic

Hi everyone

I am the conceptor of the determinator and I can give you the exact procedure of calibrating:

1) place the jumper
2) make a short circuit between the three test leads
3) Power-on the tester
4) The instruments displays CALIBRATION
5) Remove the jumper
6) The instruments measures parasitic switch resistances
7) Power off the instrument

I did not check what's happens with bad transistors. I will try to improve the algorithm, but there is no code space free.

Regards

Michel Waleczek

transistortester pic

HI michel95
why not use bigger pic and redesign it not sure if it can be done but i am still waiting for the english version if it can be translated

wizpic

transistor and scr tester kit

Hi,

I will upgrade the software and use 16F873 in order to detec bad transistors. I think in one month it will be done.

Michel

probador de transistores peak

Hi

Please everyone note that publication of article is forbidden by law. Electronique Pratique can pay their authors and live only if they can sell the magazine and the old ones. If articles are illegally scanned and put in the internet the magazine will not survive!

Michel

transistor tester project

It's very sad that you don't want share knowledge, espiecially when you received money from EP and this file was without source code for PIC.

for me french EP is impossible to get here (Poland) even if I want pay for this magazine.
so Internet is only one source where I can find international articles and books. Shipping is also very expensive. I'm not talking about scan latest full magazines or books, I mean only one, old and useful for all article

But you have full rights and this article was removed. Sorry for troubles.

testeur transistor kit

Hi again michel95
I know exactly what your are saying is ture about people ripping it off and putting it on here. i would but hte magazine but i dont understand french 1 bit
so i take it you are the owner then of the trani tester
Once you done mod will you be putting source code on here ?
wizpic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back